Has anyone hooked up an Autopilot to a dual speed pump?

May 1, 2010
Near Nashville TN
Instructions are very minimal in the Autopilot manual- Dig 220 is what I have- I installed the relay unit that is to control the High/low pump speed. Sean has been helpful, but still can't answer, with certainty, how to wire from the SWG unit to the pump. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r243725 ... mp?j1=Back is a picture of the Hayward 1.5 hp 2 spd pump. There are only to hots coming into it-not sure which one is high/low- manual is terrible. Anyway the autopilot has an L1/L low and an L1/LH high- One comes off the relay I attached- do those get tied together and hit the pump? If so, the high side or low side? I would think since they are both labeled L1, they connect together, and the relay controls the speed. Then, there is a L2/N coming off the autopilot as well- that can't mean Neutral, so where does this terminate?? There's no neutral. Its a 230V, single-phase pump.
In the online autopilot manual, both L1/L and L1/H are both the same color. The L2 is a different color- that's why I'm thinking the L1s get tied together- If so, where would they connect?? I can't be the only one with an Autopilot and a dual spd pump.

Thanks!!

Who knows how to wire an Autopilot Dig-220 to a dual speed p

Please don't post the same question in more than one place. Thanks JasonLion

Posted in SWGs as well - Instructions are very minimal in the Autopilot manual- Dig 220 is what I have- I installed the relay unit that is to control the High/low pump speed. Sean has been helpful, but still can't answer, with certainty, how to wire from the SWG unit to the pump. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r243725 ... mp?j1=Back is a picture of the Hayward 1.5 hp 2 spd pump. There are only to hots coming into it-not sure which one is high/low- manual is terrible. Anyway the autopilot has an L1/L low and an L1/LH high- One comes off the relay I attached- do those get tied together and hit the pump? If so, the high side or low side? I would think since they are both labeled L1, they connect together, and the relay controls the speed. Then, there is a L2/N coming off the autopilot as well- that can't mean Neutral, so where does this terminate?? There's no neutral. Its a 230V, single-phase pump.
In the online autopilot manual, both L1/L and L1/H are both the same color. The L2 is a different color- that's why I'm thinking the L1s get tied together- If so, where would they connect?? I can't be the only one with an Autopilot and a dual spd pump.

Thanks!!

You will need to disconnect the switch provided with the pump. L1/L - High speed goes to the high speed terminal on the pump (I can't tell for sure if that is the white or yellow wire). L1/L - Low Speed goes to the low speed terminal on the pump (the other of white and yellow you didn't use). L2/N goes to the the other hot connection on the pump (Line 1 in the pump diagram). And Ground goes to the ground connection on the pump.

Jasonlion- sorry about the dual post-

From what I am reading, I will have 3 wires, plus a ground going to the pump The pump only accepts two hots and a ground- again, this is confusing-If L1/L and L1/H are tied together after leaving the SWG, then connecting on pump terminal, wouldn't the relay on the Autopilot control the speed?

If you want the AutoPilot to control the pump speed you have to have three wires plus ground going to the pump. Nothing gets tied together. The pump has a switch for controlling the speed. That switch gets removed, which gives you the other wires (the white and yellow wires in the pump diagram) that get connected to.

If you want the switch on the pump controlling the speed you shouldn't be using the dual speed pump diagram. Instead you would use the one speed pump diagram from the AutoPilot manual and leave the switch in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.