Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borax Uses

1. Back To Top    #1

Borax Uses

Does anyone use this stuff for things other than controlling pH in the pool? I see the other uses on the box, but is it worth using? I usually have it left over after the pool season. Thanks.
    11000 gallon Viking Fiberglass 12 x 28, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, 24" cascade fountain, 12" cascade fountain, 1 1/2 HP pump, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, CA

Re: Borax Uses

I bought a few boxes when I first went BBB. Never had to use it since my ph rises. I love what it does for laundry. Fluffy towels and helps with odors in gym clothes.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

I am a straight razor shaver and I use borax to clean my shaving brush with about twice a month.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

North Central Texas

I use it mainly in laundry, not every wash but always doggie things, and let them soak. On occasion I'll do a wash and forget to put it in the dryer for a day or two and it begins to smell some. Those things get a rewash, using less detergent and some borax with a little soaking during the wash cycle.

Rarely in the pool because I have to use lots of MA to keep the pH down. Use it in the spa and like to keep it at 50 ppm.

I mostly use baking soda and vinegar. Bunch of baking soda in kitchen sinks, then some vinegar, and then run very hot water after it stops fizzing. Vinegar in my iRobot Scoobas (robotic floor washers for hard surfaces), except the downstairs bathroom, because vinegar is not really good for grout. I usually use a low sudsing antibacterial for the Scooba in that bathroom. Vinegar and baking soda for toilet bowls. Vinegar for windows. Baking soda and borax are good, mild abrasives.

I'll think of some more. The borax box has some good suggestions.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

5. Back To Top    #5

Cleans toilet bowls amazingly, and makes porcelain sinks sparkle too! I have also used it as a dog dip for hot spots, (diluted down quite a bit though) and makes her coat very soft. Don't let them drink or take internally.
    18x52 Ultra Frame with 1600 gph sand filter and intex skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Vernon BC

off the top of my head---borax with an equal part of honey or other sweet syrup like substance is a great ant killer, borax can be used to make 'flubber' just search google for flubber, borax is used in soap making
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.

7. Back To Top    #7

Glendale, CA

Borax works best as an ant bait at concentrations around 5% by weight. This is basically Terro liquid Ant bait.

At a 50/50 mix with honey or simple syrup ants never make it back to the nest to share the goodies.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100