Negatives of using bleach? And bleach vs. liquid chlorine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to "mynewpool"'s response......I have been buying the 1.42 gal (182 oz) jugs from WalMart, for 2.54 each. I've determined that one of those jugs, plus one additional cup of bleach will give me a full 1.5 gallons. However, I noticed the other day that they also sell 3 quart (96 oz) jugs for $1.27 each. If you do the math, you'll see that the smaller bottles actually come out cheaper than the larger jugs. Buying 2 of the smaller jugs, you're actually getting the full 1.5 gal for the exact same price as a 1.42 gal jug.

And for convenience, I find using the smaller jugs just a tad easier. You get a nice even 3 qts out of each bottle and since I'm usually adding in quarts or cups, it's easy enough to dump in one full bottle and then measure the rest in a cup/quart measuring cup.

geekgranny said:
That the most concise and perfectly understandable explanation one could ever find anywhere.... from our very own chemgeek. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Thanks. Note that I corrected the CH number since I first mistakenly calculated it for 1 ppm FC instead of the 2 ppm FC per day I used in my example. I also reformatted the data into a chart that is easier to read than the text. Cal-Hypo increases CH a little faster than Trichlor increases CYA in absolute ppm, but in percentage terms the increase in CYA is worse since 100 ppm CYA is a lot while 300 ppm CH is fairly normal as a target.

Its great that some of you guys are finding 12.5% in pool stores for less than $3/g

The 2 pool stores that sell it by me are both $5/g and around $18 if you purchase 4g.
Its over-priced. Im going to check Ace Hardware and other places like that to see if I can get it cheaper.

My pool stores call it liquid shock and when I ask if they have liquid chlorine or bleach they tell me, "no, only liquid shock" :lol:

Ive been using bleach for about a week and a half now and I have to admit its a pain in the tush. LOL... Ive always just stuck pucks in the chlorinator and let the pump run 24/7 so I never had a big FC lose to worry about. It was always pretty constant until my pucks dissolved and I had to add more.

Im thinking about doing 1 month on and 1 month off between bleach and pucks. In NY we have a pretty short swimming season so I dont expect to have any real issues with CYA. heck I never did before and I was using 100% pucks all summer long.

Anyway... getting off topic. :blah:

I carry my jug of 12½%, 5 gal, to store under the pool deck and have a 6 qt. bucket for adding which I have highlighted the qt. marks with a Sharpee. That way I only carry it once each time I buy it. That's the only thing I buy from the pool store anymore and I don't ask them anything anymore, this site is my expert.

For me it comes out cheaper buying the 12.5% at the local pool store for 2.49 a gallon. I buy the 5 gallon container and use a pump with a hose on it to pump from the 5 gallon to a one gallon container to bring to the pool. Here is the link to what it looks like and it works great.
http://www.becksonindustrial.com/poolpump.html
I have the SP1209M if you scroll down a little.
I store the chlorine in the garage but can it be stored outside even if the pool is in full sun. I wouldn't think so but it would be nice if I could so I'd like some opinions.
Thanks

duraleigh said:
I never did before and I was using 100% pucks all summer long.
An important part of BBB is knowing that you can manage and manipulate your pool chemistry.

Mitch, if the pucks were not giving you any trouble, why did you switch?

Sorry, I just saw this.

I switched because all last summer and the beginning of this summer my cya was very low. Around 20. But when I test about a month ago it was up to around 40.

And so far, the people on this website (including yourself) have been right about everything else, so I figured why chance it? :cheers:

If water lose from splashout and backwashing brings it back to a 20, Ill switch back to pucks for a while and just keep track of it every week. As of now over the last month, its about 30ish. So I did lose about 10 ppm...

mitch08 said:
If water lose from splashout and backwashing brings it back to a 20, Ill switch back to pucks for a while and just keep track of it every week. As of now over the last month, its about 30ish. So I did lose about 10 ppm...

When you switch to pucks you can use the Pool Calculator to see how many pucks it would take to get you back to your target range for CYA and not bother to test until then.

Pretty nice feeling to have the pool under control, eh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.