I have come across this website after becoming dissatisfied with local pool store advice. What I remember from chemistry classes really didn't match with anything they were saying. I like the water chemistry based information on this website and just need a little advice starting up. I have a 18,000 in ground vinyl salt water pool with an Aqua Brite cell. I have purchased a TF100 test kit and show these readings:
The last pool store salt reading said 3,000 ppm. They wanted me wait until I had a free chlorine reading before adding stabilizer and said I needed to remove my phosphates because they were "eating the chlorine" and preventing a chlorine reading. I knew that was a load of junk and saw on the salt tips here that I am probably not showing a chlorine reading precisely because of the lack of stabilizer. The generator is working, I can smell the chlorine smell at night. It has been running 24/7 on the pool store's advice to get a chlorine reading. I had a green algae bloom last week but it cleared up in two days. I feel I should add stabilizer and shock the pool to let the salt water cell take over but I'm not sure how much stabilizer I should use before/after I shock and the order to add things. I would greatly appreciate advice from the members of the board.