Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

  1. Back To Top    #1

    converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    We are going to convert from baqua to chlorine because my son continues to break out in a rash and it does NOT happen when he is in a chlorinated pool. Has anyone ever heard of this before? New one on us.

    Reading the threads on conversion makes me realize it will be a process, but I think it will be worth it.


    24' x 52" doughboy, aboveground, 1 1/2 HP pump

    I have not tested levels of baqua, but plan on ordering test kit. and begin to stockpile bleach!

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Welcome to TFP!

    What is most likely happening is that the baquacil is not being totally effective anymore, allowing some irritant to remain in the water. Though it could be something simpler like the PH being too low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    My 4 year old is allergic to some certain brands of chlorine, however totally fine with other brands. He is completely fine with our Baquacil pool and this is a kid with very sensitive skin. My point is that the previous poster is touching on something I would look into. Make sure your chemicals are at the levels they are suppose to be and maybe try using a different kind of D.E or different brand of Baquacil products before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water (clever, yes)
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand- Hayward EcoStar SVRS
    filter size - Hayward EC75
    type - DE
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator
    Northeast- CT

  4. Back To Top    #4

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,078

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    There are lots of threads on here about the issues with baquacil. So much so that I would encorage anyone to convert to a chlorinated pool.

    However, like Jason, I suspect OP has a water quality issue other than baquacil that needs to be corrected. Of course, this forum's expertise is on conversions and chlorine chemistry balance and not so much on baqua pool maintenance.

    I make and sell a testkit so I am prejudice, but trying to convert a pool without FIRST having a testkit (High Quality FAS/DPD chlorine test) is very, very difficult. If you intend to convert and continue the practices of BBB (which means accurate testing) then you simply cannot do without a good kit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    I'm not surprised.

    Bacquacil may do well to kill bacteria, but it doesn't oxidize anything. That's why you have to buy more products. So there's probably all sorts of organic stuff in the water causing irritation. Think about it in simple terms: lighter fluid is a skin irritant. Once it is oxidized, the soot is not.

    I have no biased interest, and I second what duraleigh posted: get a decent test kit. I use the TF100 and a speedstir, both ordered from duraleigh. Once you get it and start using it, you'll see it is some of your best-spent money ever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    5,061

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Quote Originally Posted by illwill
    My 4 year old is allergic to some certain brands of chlorine, however totally fine with other brands. He is completely fine with our Baquacil pool and this is a kid with very sensitive skin. My point is that the previous poster is touching on something I would look into. Make sure your chemicals are at the levels they are suppose to be and maybe try using a different kind of D.E or different brand of Baquacil products before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water (clever, yes)
    Welcome to TFP!

    DE is filter media and would have no impact at all on how skin reacts when exposed to water.

    Baquacil is a problematic sanitizer with marginal performance at best. Discontinuing the use of PMHB products in the pool will solve most rash issues. Dirty water causes rashes. When water is properly sanitized, rashes are rare if not nonexistent.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Quote Originally Posted by illwill
    My 4 year old is allergic to some certain brands of chlorine, however totally fine with other brands. He is completely fine with our Baquacil pool and this is a kid with very sensitive skin. My point is that the previous poster is touching on something I would look into. Make sure your chemicals are at the levels they are suppose to be and maybe try using a different kind of D.E or different brand of Baquacil products before you go throwing the baby out with the bath water (clever, yes)
    Welcome to TFP!

    DE is filter media and would have no impact at all on how skin reacts when exposed to water.

    Baquacil is a problematic sanitizer with marginal performance at best. Discontinuing the use of PMHB products in the pool will solve most rash issues. Dirty water causes rashes. When water is properly sanitized, rashes are rare if not nonexistent.
    Thanks, there is some really good information to be read here. The OP can have a rash free pool with baquacil is what I was getting at. Just needs to be properly sanitized.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand- Hayward EcoStar SVRS
    filter size - Hayward EC75
    type - DE
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator
    Northeast- CT

  8. Back To Top    #8
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Welcome to both of you!

    Ilwil...just FYI, chlorine is chlorine regardless of brand. Are you referring to the type of chlorine (trichlor, dichlor, vs liquid chlorine)?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  9. Back To Top    #9

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,078

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Quote Originally Posted by illwill
    The OP can have a rash free pool with baquacil is what I was getting at. Just needs to be properly sanitized.
    Agreed. All of us are saying pretty much the same thing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Welcome to both of you!

    Ilwil...just FYI, chlorine is chlorine regardless of brand. Are you referring to the type of chlorine (trichlor, dichlor, vs liquid chlorine)?
    Yeah I'm new to this but that makes sense. The two people I know whose pools bother my sons skin just probably don't take very good care of their chemical levels.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand- Hayward EcoStar SVRS
    filter size - Hayward EC75
    type - DE
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator
    Northeast- CT

  11. Back To Top    #11
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: converting to chlorine because son is breaking out in rash

    That is more likely the cause...CC's or combined chloramines = bad
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •