Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tadpoles!! Please help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tadpoles!! Please help!

We have had our Solar Cover on for a couple of weeks. Still adding Bleach everyday and water is testing good. Uncovered today..water is clear and tadpoles have moved in. I've read on another forum to Shock, but what else? How long do they take to die? And how do we prevent this from happening again? I'm afraid it has to do w/the cover being on for so long and the temperatures have been upper 90's! I've been so proud of our clear water!
    24ft. AG, 13,500 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Hayward Max Flow 1.5 hp
    "Trying BBB"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tadpoles!! Please help!

Thats weird I had tadpoles when my pool was like a swamp but once I started to shock they started to die, except the 2 my daughter rescued, lol, they were gone within 3 days, and my water was cold. Maybe you could bring it (PH LEVEL) up a notch?
    But I'm a newbie so wait for qualified advice. Good Luck.
    15 x 30 oval 10,000 gallon AGP, vinyl with metalframe deck, Hayward 1.0 pump and sand filter.. Extremely inexperienced mom from Western, MA............

3. Back To Top    #3

Chlorine will kill the tadpoles. The amount of time it takes depends on how large they are, smaller ones die more quickly.

The only way you can normally get tadpoles in the first place is if the chlorine level was zero for quite some time. Is it possible there was water pooled on top of the cover, and they got started there? If so a cover pump will prevent that from happening next time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That's exactly where they must have came from! The cover did have some water on the top of it along w/leaves. Normally we don't have the cover on for this long of a period. They are very small and most have already died and been scooped out.
    24ft. AG, 13,500 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Hayward Max Flow 1.5 hp
    "Trying BBB"