Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendations for a step up from Intex SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendations for a step up from Intex SWG

I posted in other threads about my problem with the Intex SWG, so I won't repeat that here. But I wanted to ask for suggestions on which SWGs to look at which would be a step up from the Intex, but not too expensive. The max I'd want to spend is about $500. I see the Hayward AquaTrol is in that price range, so would love to hear opinions on that one from anyone who has it.

What other models should I look into?
    Sue

18' round Sharkline Matrix AGP / 8600 Gal. / sand filter / Aqua Trol SWG
    Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendations for a step up from Intex SWG

I have the aquatrol RJ model... Love it... Mine is hard plumbed . Makes life easy to maintain the pool.
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style

3. Back To Top    #3

There aren't that many good choices in that price range. The Aqua Trol is very well thought of.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool, that's the one I have been looking at... $467 from Amazon. Is the salt level reading accurate enough that you no longer need to buy test strips for salt?
    Sue

Pool owner since 2001. Thanks to TFP for helping me convert off Baquacil after six years!

5. Back To Top    #5

There isn't normally any need to use salt test strips when using the Aqua Trol. In most situations, it's salt display is as good as a good salt test. The only times that isn't true is when the cell is failing or the water is very cold. In those cases it is often nice to have a separate salt test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jason... I don't test salt that often, but it still kills me when the strips cost a buck each!

Now just got to convince hubby on the Aqua Trol. Maybe I'll ask him to reset the Intex right before I bring it up.
    Sue

7. Back To Top    #7

Autochlor RPMINI.NEW also falls into your price range, given that you are a TFP supporter

8. Back To Top    #8

Can anyone post pictures of the Aquatrol RJ model mounted on their pool's return jet? My husband would like to see it mounted and the manual only shows cheesy line drawings.

Thanks!
    Sue

9. Back To Top    #9

We received and installed the Aqua-Trol yesterday. At first we thought we were going to have to overhaul the return jet, but hubby managed to get it on there without a major overhaul. It's giving some wonky salt readings, but I will watch it for a couple of days to see if it works itself out.
    Sue

10. Back To Top    #10

The salt level will tend to fluctuate for up to the first 24 hours.