Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bleach smell?

1. Back To Top    #1

bleach smell?

Does bleach have more odor that dichlor? I was shocking with the dichlor packets that came with the pool and switched to bleach when I used those up. I notice the bleach smell a lot more.
    WilBar Escalade 18x40 Oval AGP
    7' Hopper Style Deep End, 27K gallons
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: bleach smell?

This is just a guess, but it seems to me that fumes from dichlor an be intense, ever caught a whiff from an open tub of dichlor or trichlor? Whereas bleach tends to have a milder "bleach" smell, I suspect this has to do with the fact one is a liquid and the other a powder.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

If you are smelling the straight chemicals, what Isaac-1 said is exactly right. However, if you are smelling the pool after adding chemicals, then it probably doesn't have anything to do with which kind of chlorine you are using. Smelling chlorine from the pool usually means your chemicals are out of balance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

When I started up this year had a little odor for the first week.But went away..No smell now..Just clear,clear water!!!
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit