first test wih k-2006

OK just did my first test.
    CYA 40
    ALK 160
    CA 250
    PH 7.7
    FC 4.5
    CC 0

Overall not bad. Going to lower all with MA. Added borates already so hopefully its not to hard to get Alk down. I have a swg coming and from reading I need to be 60-90 ALK is that correct? This is a vinyl liner pool and currently using tri chlor. Going to check out the pool calculated for how much MA to add. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, jeff
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first test wih k-2006

The high alk and the SWG will cause the PH to rise. Whenever it hits 7.8, simply lower it with muratic acid down to 7.2. the acid additions will also lower the TA each time, little by little and eventually your TA should drop into range. You can add aeration to speed up the PH drift and the process overall, but it isn't required.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

In addition to what frustratedpoolmom said, you will want the CYA level around 70 or 80 when you start using the SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks...
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

5. Back To Top    #5

OK got the swg here but the wife is not to thrilled. She does not want it at all. She Jinks we r going to turn it as salty as my reef tanks at 35 pom LOL. Re tested today after adding MA.

FC 5
    TC 5
    CC 0
    ALK 110
    CH 250
    PH 7.2
    CYA 40
    TEMP 85

6. Back To Top    #6

Good. ALK is on it's way down. Now you need to raise CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason, I need to be 60-90 alk if I can talk the wife into the swg and then around 80 cya correct? If I do not go that route does everything else look fine? She swears I am going to mess things up and thinks I am crazy that bleach is the same as liquid chlorine.

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't have to have alk exactly at 60 to 90, though that is preferred. It is fine if lowering alk takes a while.

Yes, CYA at 70 to 80 for use with a SWG, CYA at 40 to 50 when not using a SWG.

If bleach is objectionable, a SWG should be a good alternative