Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended bromine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended bromine levels

I have been looking around in TFP but cannot seem to find recommended levels of bromine. Would it be the same as the recommended chlorine levels times 2.25?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Recommended bromine levels

On most OTO chlorine tests, the equivalent bromine is marked on the opposite side of the chlorine. Do you have a bromine pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Bromine is not affected by CYA, so the Chlorine / CYA chart does not apply. The normal day to day bromine level should be 3 to 5. Shock level is around 10.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Jason, thats what I was looking for. Is this recommended level for bromine listed anywhere on TFP? If not maybe we could add it to pool school somewhere??
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

We don't recommend the use of bromine, except in a spa. We don't normally list information on how to use products that we don't recommend. The spa directions are different than the pool directions, so they don't apply.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Jason, I need it for my spa.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are talking about a spa, you should be posting in the Spas and Hot Tubs area. If you post here and don't say otherwise, we assume you are talking about a pool.

There are good instructions on using bromine in a spa in this topic.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry Jason, I was originally going to put it in spa but since it is chemistry and some people do put bromine in their pool I thought this would be the better place. Little did I know that bromine is no good in the pool.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Its not that it is "no good", it is just that chlorine is enough better that there isn't really any point in thinking about bromine for a pool. Bromine is more sensitive to sunlight than chlorine is when using CYA, so you end up spending more money, and many people object to the "chemical" smell. Bromine is more stable at the high temperatures in a spa, so bromine is better in a spa, but in a pool chlorine is the clear winner.