You can read my initial post regarding my pool situation here;
To make a long story short (thank god I am on holidays to handle this) I had an excellent opportunity to drain and refill the pool today...it poured nearly non-stop all day which sped things up a lot. I managed to get another 6 inches out of the pool today, between the rain and the hose I was impressed with my progress considering my CYA was over 180 a few days ago.
All was going well, managed to fix the water hose supply and replace the tubing to the water slide so it works properly...some nasty crud living in the nozzles and dirty slide rungs etc made it a whole day affair to get it looking like new. Nice to be able to slide and not get an atomic wedgie when you went down. In between downpours I got the kids out to test the slide and give me a verdict, they all agreed it was awesome and lots faster with a little lubrication!
Then one of the kids mentioned the water looked green...
Since I was backwashing and monitoring water levels and scrubbing diving boards and water slides I just never really looked at the water color, it was cloudy and overcast so I wasn't paying much attention. My morning levels were;
The man upstairs must have been watching out for me since he led me to the pool chemical section at Rona while I was picking up hose and I got some dry acid and a litre of Muriatic at the same time...figured I would try both since my morning PH levels were a little high.
Of course the algae bloom took me by surprise so I acted quickly and dumped in enough shock to bring the chlorine up to 50ppm, I took a water sample prior to dumping it in so I could test the CYA now that my drain and refill was done for the day! Luckily I think I caught it in time, the water was cloudy and greenish until the chlorine took effect and the dry acid and muriatic got pressed into service to bring the pH under control...sheesh I'm supposed to be on holidays!
At this time the pool is clear and blue and the krawler is sucking up dead algae off the bottom after I brushed the entire pool well, my pre shock CYA levels were not bad compared to what it was...it is 100 now so my 50 ppm shock load was a good guess even if it was a little high. I didn't want to take any chances with my previous CYA readings being so high
Needless to say I think I am going to keep the pool in shock until I get the CYA to a normal level, adding water and dumping makes it hard to keep control of the pool chemistry...the rain wasn't my friend after all since I think it was the source of my algae. In hindsight I should have just got the water truck in to do a complete refill all at once and avoid all this drama and chemical wastage, it may be more expensive but my nerves are frazzled.
I'm just thanking god he pointed me to that acid shelf and I picked some up, adding the acid instantly cleared the pool of the cloudiness and precipitated the algae literally as I stood there watching...that PH is really important to make the shock process work! Thank god for this forum and all those that give out advice because I was checking here frequently to find answers from previous posts.
Thanks folks for all you do!