Filter Problem

BMAC

Jul 23, 2010
I have a DE pool filter. The DE appears to be coming out the pool jets and my preasure is around 25. When I backwash my preasure will go down to its normal level of 15 but slowly climbs back up. I have replaced the grids (fingers) on the filter 3 years ago and it has worked fine. My motor is less then a year old. Is it possible I need a new filter all together? The price I was quoted for a new filter was $975.

I suspect it's a Hayward bump style filter. Sometimes the rubber diaphragm gets a small tear and needs to be replaced. Another possible is the fingers are not full seated, one or both O-rings on the center shaft between the plates is worn or you have a bad finger.

Any way you slice it, you're opening the filter to clean it and find the culprit.

Scott

Yes it is a Hayward motor and I believe a Hayward De-690 filter. I've cleaned the filter twice this year so it can't be dirty fingers. I also replaced the fingers 3 years ago. I'm not sure what the rubber diaphram is but I will check it out. The O rings could be a possibility. Sounds like I might not have to replace the filter. Will fixing these reduce my pool preasure? Thanks for your help.

I put a new O ring this morning and added fresh DE. My other DE was a few years old. This seems to have helped my preasure is down. Now I'm waiting to see if it holds the dirt in. I have been battling Alge but I'm figuring that is because of the high heat. My PH level is good. If the O reing doesn't slve I will bring the grid into the pool store to check it out.

BMAC,

If you still have algae, your psi will continue to rise as the filter gets out the dead algae.

I think if you address your filter issue as a water quality issue, your filter issues will disappear once the water gets cleaned up.

I'm still battling the alge which could be raising my PSI I'm slowly getting back up to 20PSI. The dirt on the bottom is getting less and less as i sweep and have the Polaris clean. The water is clear. So I'm hoping that I can get the pool clean and backwash the pool to keep the PSI down. The new O ring is definitely helping. Next step would be to test my grids for a tear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.