Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Problem

I have a DE pool filter. The DE appears to be coming out the pool jets and my preasure is around 25. When I backwash my preasure will go down to its normal level of 15 but slowly climbs back up. I have replaced the grids (fingers) on the filter 3 years ago and it has worked fine. My motor is less then a year old. Is it possible I need a new filter all together? The price I was quoted for a new filter was $975.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Problem

Welcome to TFP.

What filter and pump do you have?

I'd be thinking it might be time to open the filter and clean the fingers.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I suspect it's a Hayward bump style filter. Sometimes the rubber diaphragm gets a small tear and needs to be replaced. Another possible is the fingers are not full seated, one or both O-rings on the center shaft between the plates is worn or you have a bad finger.

Any way you slice it, you're opening the filter to clean it and find the culprit.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it is a Hayward motor and I believe a Hayward De-690 filter. I've cleaned the filter twice this year so it can't be dirty fingers. I also replaced the fingers 3 years ago. I'm not sure what the rubber diaphram is but I will check it out. The O rings could be a possibility. Sounds like I might not have to replace the filter. Will fixing these reduce my pool preasure? Thanks for your help.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

How does the water look? If it;s green, the filter is getting filled up with debris pretty quickly.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

If you ran with a high calcium level and the pH fluctuated on the high side, or you have swimmers that use copious amounts of tanning lotions and sun blocks, pets, etc... the fingers may need a TSP bath and an acid bath.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

I put a new O ring this morning and added fresh DE. My other DE was a few years old. This seems to have helped my preasure is down. Now I'm waiting to see if it holds the dirt in. I have been battling Alge but I'm figuring that is because of the high heat. My PH level is good. If the O reing doesn't slve I will bring the grid into the pool store to check it out.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

BMAC,

If you still have algae, your psi will continue to rise as the filter gets out the dead algae.

I think if you address your filter issue as a water quality issue, your filter issues will disappear once the water gets cleaned up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm still battling the alge which could be raising my PSI I'm slowly getting back up to 20PSI. The dirt on the bottom is getting less and less as i sweep and have the Polaris clean. The water is clear. So I'm hoping that I can get the pool clean and backwash the pool to keep the PSI down. The new O ring is definitely helping. Next step would be to test my grids for a tear.