Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Four Days

1. Back To Top    #1

First Four Days

The "first four days" section in the pool school mentions to add the Dichlor to a bucket, let it dissolve and pour it in. In alot of other threads they mention the sock method. I, more than likely, will be using the HTH Stabilizer from Wally World. Which method should I use? at 1 oz per 500 gallons, I will be adding 24 to 26 oz at a time. (depending on how full I fill pool) Is putting it hot water in a bucket to help it dissolve an soption?

Pool is not quite up again yet, we are waiting on the pad to get here, we were hoping by this weekend, but it looks more like Monday according to UPS.
    Intex 24'X52" Round
    2500 GHP pump
    Northern Utah
    13,000+ gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Four Days

Dichlor is stabilized chlorine, which adds both stabilizer and chlorine, so it isn't appropriate to use the sock method. The HTH stabilizer has no chlorine. If you'll be usin the HTH stabilizer, forget the dichlor and use bleach for your chlorine source.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh,,,I thought they were the same...does it add CYA the same as Dichlor? Or should I just find some dichlor? How should I apply it?

If I dont find Dichlor I assume I use the HTH Stabilizer as per the pool calculator instructions? Which for 13000 gal, assuming I am at zero and try to get to 8 the first day is 14 oz by weight? Or am I getting it all wrong?

And then try to bring the FC up to 6 or so for the first few days?

Sorry, I thought I finally had it down, and now I threw myself a curve ball.
    Intex 24'X52" Round
    2500 GHP pump
    Northern Utah
    13,000+ gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Dichlor adds chlorine, adds CYA, and lowers the PH. Stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid only adds CYA. Dichlor should be pre-dissolved in a bucket and then poured slowly into the pool (with the pump running). Stabilizer should be put in a sock and then either put in a skimmer or hung in front of a return.

I would use stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid to raise your CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

cna91, I think "the first four days" comes from the Seasonal/Temporary Pool Guide. That guide is really intended for smaller pools (up to maybe 5000-6000 gallons) although it doesn't actually say so. At 13,000 gallons, your pool is as big as some permanently installed pools and should be treated as one for water-chemistry purposes.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page