Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: higher temp...more chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

higher temp...more chlorine?

Our outside temps have been hovering in the 95-100 degree range for a several days. Does the higher temps and hotter sun increase the chlorine demand of a pool? In other words, is there any reason I should put more bleach in the pool on the very hot days? I know my testing numbers dictate how much I add, but it seems like I lose more FC on these days?!?!?
    18x36 Grecian style vinyl 23,000 gal inground pool, Hayward Pro Series S220T sand filter, Hayward Super Pump 1 hp.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: higher temp...more chlorine?

yes, very much so.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep. Also, you might want to double-check your CYA level if you feel you are losing an unusual amount of FC daily.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kdubya815
    Our outside temps have been hovering in the 95-100 degree range for a several days. Does the higher temps and hotter sun increase the chlorine demand of a pool? In other words, is there any reason I should put more bleach in the pool on the very hot days? I know my testing numbers dictate how much I add, but it seems like I lose more FC on these days?!?!?
    Here's a tip: Install some sort of a shade for your pool, this will keep direct sunlight off your pool water and keep the water cool. I personally installed a tarp about 10-11 foot from the ground and it reduced the heat by a lot. This means more money back in your wallet from electrically bill (pump), less chemicals usage, scrubbing, etc. This helped for me so I hope the same for you.