Need help, cloudy water, just filled pool with water

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
OK, not for sure what I need to do. I opened the pool with new water last weekend (was done filling Sat afternoon)
Sunday I added bleach to get TC to about 4, the other nights I added either Chlorine granuales or about 10 oz shock. I adjusted pH with Borax, added some algaecide also. I have no CYA (no test, I have never added stabilizer).

Tonight I am starting to add the stabilizer, however, the pool is cloudy. It was gradually gotten worse this week. All I have is a 3 way tester, TC, BR and pH.

TC = 0
BR = 0
pH = 7.5

So what do I need to do first? Get the stabilizer in (adding about 10oz per pool-school/temporary_pool_guide ) then shock?

What type of granules did you use to "shock" with? They may have some CYA in them. You can raise the FC to shock level overnight and add your CYA in the morning. Keep the FC at shock level until you pass the overnight test. After about a week you can test the CYA level.

Add the CYA by putting it into a sock and tying it off so it hangs in front of a return. Flow from the return will dissolve the CYA and you should be able to measure it in about a week.

Without CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine each day to sunlight.

Is the pool cloudy white/gray, or is it green? White/gray could be calcium clouding from the cal-hypo in HTH Shock N' Swim, while green would be algae.

Things are much easier to manage if you have a good test kit.

There is a good comparison of the K-2006 vs the TF-100 here. They both contain the good (FAS-DPD) chlorine test. The TF-100 has larger quantities of the reagents and an OTO chlorine test. The K-2006 has acid and base demand tests and a nice booklet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.