Pool Store test results don't make sense

Jul 22, 2010
Hi,

I have a 15 X42 AG 3900 gal

I only have the WalMart HTH 6 way kit but just ordered the TF100. Took a sample last Thursday to store results were:

FC .87
TC .86
PH 8.2 my reading at this time was off the chart
Calcium Hardness 310
TA 280 mine around 320
CYA 30 mine the black dot did not disappear

Todays results:

FC 1.56 mine the 1-2 section.
TC 1.63
PH 7.9 my kit tested 7.5
Calcium Hardness 240
TA 120 my kit tested around 300
CYA 15 my kit black dot has never disappeared

For the past 2 weeks I use liquid chlorine only. I have added muriatic acid to drop PH to 7.2 and pointed my return jet up to make bubbles. The only other think I have used is sequsol (spelling?) because of filling with well water.

My water is clean but cloudy, just checked and is does seem a wee bit better. So I guess my question is will the high TA and when my PH was high could that be why my water is cloudy.

Thank you.

Hi,

Pretty much 24/7 just a short break here and there. I plan on upping the chlorine after the sun is off the pool. Funny the gal at the pool store said my chlorine looked good. Glad I've been reading these boards.

Thanks for answering.

Consider the implications of your 2 sets of test results :

They have a machine that is soooo sophisticated it can distinguish between .86ppm FC and .87ppm CC - very accurate

It's also reporting a 25% drop in your CH, 60% drop in your TA and a 50% drop in your CYA - over the course of a week.

Clearly you emptied half your pool and refilled it distilled water and then fiddled with the numbers some more.......

If you didn't then their testing is...... wrong.

But seriously - a good test kit will illuminate everything. You'll do weekly tests and realize that CYA and CH don't just evaporate. You'll be able to have confidence in what you're doing because your numbers will make sense.

And as others have said - keep that chlorine up while you're in the break in period or you'll be posting questions on the algae board. No one wants that.

This is such a good example of PS BS. They measured FC to two decimal places!!! A computer will print out 10 decimal places if you tell it to but the accuracy of the color matching is probably at least +- 2.0. The PS flunks chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.