Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Store test results don't make sense

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Store test results don't make sense

Hi,

I have a 15 X42 AG 3900 gal

I only have the WalMart HTH 6 way kit but just ordered the TF100. Took a sample last Thursday to store results were:

FC .87
    TC .86
    PH 8.2 my reading at this time was off the chart
    Calcium Hardness 310
    TA 280 mine around 320
    CYA 30 mine the black dot did not disappear

Todays results:

FC 1.56 mine the 1-2 section.
    TC 1.63
    PH 7.9 my kit tested 7.5
    Calcium Hardness 240
    TA 120 my kit tested around 300
    CYA 15 my kit black dot has never disappeared

For the past 2 weeks I use liquid chlorine only. I have added muriatic acid to drop PH to 7.2 and pointed my return jet up to make bubbles. The only other think I have used is sequsol (spelling?) because of filling with well water.

My water is clean but cloudy, just checked and is does seem a wee bit better. So I guess my question is will the high TA and when my PH was high could that be why my water is cloudy.

Thank you.
    18 X 52 AG Doughboy Century
    Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Store test results don't make sense

How many hours are you running the pump/filter daily? And that chlorine level looks awfully low. I'd keep it 3-4 MINIMUM till your test kit comes in.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,

Pretty much 24/7 just a short break here and there. I plan on upping the chlorine after the sun is off the pool. Funny the gal at the pool store said my chlorine looked good. Glad I've been reading these boards.

Thanks for answering.
    18 X 52 AG Doughboy Century
    Hayward Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

.........they like to sell shock too! I'd up that FC level to 5 to start with-----it'll drop to 3 or so during the day normally. Won't hurt a thing.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

This thread gets my nomination for best thread title ever. It's such a masterful use of understatement; ever so subtle yet profoundly true.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Consider the implications of your 2 sets of test results :

They have a machine that is soooo sophisticated it can distinguish between .86ppm FC and .87ppm CC - very accurate

It's also reporting a 25% drop in your CH, 60% drop in your TA and a 50% drop in your CYA - over the course of a week.

Clearly you emptied half your pool and refilled it distilled water and then fiddled with the numbers some more.......

If you didn't then their testing is...... wrong.

But seriously - a good test kit will illuminate everything. You'll do weekly tests and realize that CYA and CH don't just evaporate. You'll be able to have confidence in what you're doing because your numbers will make sense.

And as others have said - keep that chlorine up while you're in the break in period or you'll be posting questions on the algae board. No one wants that.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

This is such a good example of PS BS. They measured FC to two decimal places!!! A computer will print out 10 decimal places if you tell it to but the accuracy of the color matching is probably at least +- 2.0. The PS flunks chemistry.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit