Need Help With High PH

Jun 22, 2010
Frisco, Texas
Hi there,

I need some expert advice from anyone who can help me or possibly is having or has had the same situation as me. New in ground salt water pool installed in spring. I have been using the BBB method for about 1 month now, I have almost everything under control except for the PH. I know with a new pool, this will take a while to settle down, according to my pool builder.
I have a Hayward Prologic system with swg, 18000 gal pool. From what I have read, aeration will cause PH to rise faster than normal. With my current setup, my filter is running 10 hours a day/7 days a week. I am putting acid in approx every 3 days. The way the pool company set the equiptment up, when the pool filter is running, we are getting return water from the returns in the pool, and well as the returns in the spa along with the waterfall. I can adjust the waterfall amount to almost zero, but there is still water coming from the spa returns. I questioned as to why I can't adjust the valves so not have water overflowing from the spa, regardless if it is on or not. I was told that they wired the valves the way they did because otherwise, I would not be able to keep the spa chemistry in check. My neighbor has a similar setup where they only run the spa overflow when they want. Can someone tell me if this is normal or did my pool builder take the easy way out? Is it easy to fix or a major rewire like they said? As much as we like the fountain overflowing, there are times when we would just prefer to have the pool filter going with no fountain overflow. It also tends to get rather loud especially if the fountain valve is opened up. Sorry for the long read. Thanks again.

Your pH rise is normal, with ~new plaster and SWG.

As for the spa spillover, can you post a picture of your equipment pad? Typically, you'd be able to set the valves to pool suction only and pool return only, with no circulation in the spa.

Generally the spa needs to be in overflow mode at least an hour a day, usually somewhat more. Otherwise you are going to have problems with the spa.

Many pools are plumbed so that the spa is always in overflow mode any time the pump is running (unless you are in spa mode).

It is certainly possible to change how it is setup, but it might require some changes to the plumbing. You will still need to run it one or more hours a day, but not every moment the pool is on.

JasonLion said:
Generally the spa needs to be in overflow mode at least an hour a day, usually somewhat more. Otherwise you are going to have problems with the spa.

Many pools are plumbed so that the spa is always in overflow mode any time the pump is running (unless you are in spa mode).

It is certainly possible to change how it is setup, but it might require some changes to the plumbing. You will still need to run it one or more hours a day, but not every moment the pool is on.

That would be ok with us, we would prefer not to have it overflowing 100% of the time. The super told me that they could rewire but it would be a pain for me because if I wanted it to overflow from the fountain, it would have to be manually rewired everytime.

Melt In The Sun said:
Your pH rise is normal, with ~new plaster and SWG.

As for the spa spillover, can you post a picture of your equipment pad? Typically, you'd be able to set the valves to pool suction only and pool return only, with no circulation in the spa.

I'll take a picture when I get home and post it tonight. The problem I see, is that the only 2 manual valves are for 1-spa fountain, 2- shear decents in the pool, everything else is automatic via wiring.

Wow, that is a fairly complex setup.

It looks like they have setup the valve that selects between pool and spa return, when in pool position, to stop with the spa side still partially open. That is a fairly common setup.

What could be done is to change the configuration of that valve to close the spa off completely. Then setup a separate bypass around that valve with it's own automated valve that feeds water to the spa. Then the new valve could be programmed as a separate feature to turn the spa overflow on and off as desired. That is a little extra plumbing, but would give you the control you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.