Is Adding a Return to AG pool a DIY project

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I have only one return and I would like to add a second and convert to PVC plumbing. I am comfortable with working with PVC, but have no experience with cutting a hole in the above ground pool and vinyl liner. Is this something that I can do or do I need to get a professional to punch the hole?

There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.

I will check to see if I can rent one first as I do not imagine I will need it for any other project. If I understand the process - I will lower the water to below the return level - Drill a "draw hole" of appropriate diameter through the liner and the wall and then use the hole punch to cut through it all. I guess the return fitting comes with a gasket. If this is all there is to it I don't see why I can't do it myself.

Thanks

Bama Rambler said:
There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.

That'd be me. It's pretty simple. Pictures are here buying-a-used-agp-t16890-180.html 'bout half way down the page... The only difference is you will be going through the liner also. Have fun! :goodjob:

Don't forget to paint the exposed metal from the cut! Fingernail polish works.

Guess that wasn't me... I didn't add a second return. Just put one in.

I'm not sure you can rent just the size you need, but you should be able to rent a whole kit of different sizes for a few bucks. Maybe they'll part with just one, guess it depends on the rental shop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.