Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is Adding a Return to AG pool a DIY project

1. Back To Top    #1

Is Adding a Return to AG pool a DIY project

I have only one return and I would like to add a second and convert to PVC plumbing. I am comfortable with working with PVC, but have no experience with cutting a hole in the above ground pool and vinyl liner. Is this something that I can do or do I need to get a professional to punch the hole?
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is Adding a Return to AG pool a DIY project

There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Greenlee is a company that makes punches.

Here is a link to some that Mcmaster Carr sells. http://www.mcmaster.com/#knockout-punches/=82qjw0

You could do better price wise if you look around.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

4. Back To Top    #4

I will check to see if I can rent one first as I do not imagine I will need it for any other project. If I understand the process - I will lower the water to below the return level - Drill a "draw hole" of appropriate diameter through the liner and the wall and then use the hole punch to cut through it all. I guess the return fitting comes with a gasket. If this is all there is to it I don't see why I can't do it myself.

Thanks
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Txmat
    If this is all there is to it I don't see why I can't do it myself.
    I agree. Sounds pretty straight-forward.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

It is pretty simple and the bonus of using a hole punch is that you get a perfectly round smooth hole in the liner.

The return comes with all the gaskets you need to install it correctly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    There was a thread a while back where someone used a hole punch to cut the hole in an AGP for a second return. That's the best way to do it. You could do it with a hole saw but they might snag the liner and they leave a rough hole. If you could rent a hole punch that would be best.
    That'd be me. It's pretty simple. Pictures are here buying-a-used-agp-t16890-180.html 'bout half way down the page... The only difference is you will be going through the liner also. Have fun!

Don't forget to paint the exposed metal from the cut! Fingernail polish works.

Guess that wasn't me... I didn't add a second return. Just put one in.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Rob. Good photos and description. As soon as I finish a little deck and pool repair I will tackle the re-plumbing including adding the return.
    Larry in Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not sure you can rent just the size you need, but you should be able to rent a whole kit of different sizes for a few bucks. Maybe they'll part with just one, guess it depends on the rental shop.
    Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...