Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae in Filter's sight glass

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae in Filter's sight glass

I've been successfully using the BBB method for over a month now. Recently, I went away for a few days and when I returned I noticed that there was some algae starting to form on the bottom of my pool. I shocked the pool and then noticed that the Sight Glass on the Filter has what looks to be green algae covering the bottom half of the glass. I backwashed for a couple of minutes and this didn't clear it up.

Is this a sign that there's something wrong with my filter or will the shocking process clean this part of the filter as well as the pool?
    20,000 Gallons Inground Vinyl Pool, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, 4 return jets, 1 vacuum intake
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter (SM2506T), Hayward EZ Flow Pump (SP-3107X10), Emerson Pump Motor (EB228), Hayward Comfortzone NG Heater, Hayward Chlorinator (CL220)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae in Filter's sight glass

The shocking process will take care of it as you backwash. If you want it clean faster just unscrew it and bleach it a bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't sweat the sight glass, it has water in which all the chlorine has been used up with no way to replace. However, it's not a problem because that water doesn't come in contact with your pool's water

If it's for aesthetics, follow Bama's advice
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info!
    20,000 Gallons Inground Vinyl Pool, 1 skimmer, 1 floor drain, 4 return jets, 1 vacuum intake
    Hayward Vari-Flo XL sand filter (SM2506T), Hayward EZ Flow Pump (SP-3107X10), Emerson Pump Motor (EB228), Hayward Comfortzone NG Heater, Hayward Chlorinator (CL220)