Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Article of Fox News

1. Back To Top    #1
    Schnecksville, PA

Article of Fox News,2933,597467,00.html

In the end, I think they get it right suggesting that Chlorine and UV are the best choice for sanitization.
    I am kinda concerned that they do not clearly identify specifically what chemical they claim causes cell damage (CC's?)
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App)

2. Back To Top    #2
    S.E. MI

Re: Article of Fox News

Interesting article, and just one more reason I'm so glad I have my own pool.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

UV plus chlorine is great for indoor commercial pools. Outdoor commercial pools have a few more acceptable choices. UV isn't normally needed for residential pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

It's there, but interestingly they do not mention Chloramines by name, which is the main contributor of respiratory issues, asthmatic reactions, and most likely the rest of the "chlorine" related problems.

UV is uber-effective on Cryptosporidium, which chlorine barely touches. Filtration also captures the crypto. The fear is that crypto is deadly and is the cause for law suites in several cities.
    There is a trend for all interactive water features (splash pads, play pools) to be required to be treated with a UV system, and chlorine or some other disinfectant.
    UV treatment is different from Ozone treatment, and is very expensive. Hopefully, the requirement being pushed by CDC and Dept of Health will bring the costs down.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators