Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Please !!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please !!!

I am a new pool owner and I have a problem. I have something whiteish in color, kinda looks like cotton balls pulled apart that settles out in the bottom. When I vaccum or brush it they go away but then settle back out after a while. I use the Pool Frog system right now (but I am getting rid of it) and the other day when I did the algaecide it went away but the next day when I shocked it came back. It starting formimg before I ever put any algaecide in the pool also. Please help as I cannot find anything on this site or the net that sounds like this. Thanks !!!

PH 7.5
    CL 3.0
    CYA 30-50
    TA 100-120
    CH 30
    (using test strips)
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please !!!

Welcome to TFP!

Kind of sounds like water mold, but I'm not 100% on that . The strips are notoriously inaccurate on cya (as well as the other parameters) - so you may well have a LOT more or a LOT less.

I'd suggest getting a good drop based kit (there is a kit comparison article in Pool School)!

In the mean time, try bumping the chlorine level up to 5+ and see if the issue subsides.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help Please !!!

I think the CYA is pretty close because the pool store tested it about a week ago and it was showing 25 so I added a little stabilizer. So i feel like I am OK there. I sure hope it is not white water mold because it looks like it is a PAIN to get rid of. If anyone has any ideas on getting rid of it please tell me. Most post I have read on it say it is slimy and there are white flakes on the top of the water. What I have is not slimy and I have no flakes. I guess it could still be though. Thanks !!!!
    17,000 gal. AG with Pentair Clean and Clear 100 cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump at about 55 GPM.