Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: High copper level in pool??

High copper level in pool??

Good afternoon-

I am having a high copper content problem in my 17,500 gl ig pool. I have gone to local pool company and was told that my heater, a Minimax NT 400 is probably the culprit. Is there any way to test besides piping in a bypass to heater? Unit is 5 years old and not used that often. Any ideas?? Thanks to all.

Re: High copper level in pool??

If it's already in there bypassing the heater won't help at this point.

Keep your pH in the middle of the range and you shouldn't add anymore to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Tim, how do you chlorinate your pool? Do you use any copper-based algicide? Those are two other possible causes, that are more common than corroded heat exchangers.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Thanks for the replies. No copper based algicides that I know of. Have to add metal out every other day. Water is tested every 3 days at local pool co. We don't go to the big box stores anymore as the kids behind counters don't have a clue... All other chemicals are good and stabile. This all started about 3 weeks ago.

However, could this be a cause?? I replaced my CCP320 cart. filter with a Hayward 24" sand filter about 4 weeks ago. I used Zeobrite instead off sand after reading all the stuff on the net about it. Seemed to be a good product?? Coincidence or culprit?? Water is clearer than my old cart. filter with new filters!

Sorry- regarding chlorinating, my wife does the chemical upkeep. I will have to find out about chlorine and shocking amounts.

No, it wouldn't have anything to do with the new filter media.

Copper getting etched out of the heater happens when the PH is allowed to get too low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

HELP!!!! My saga continues. I have bypassed the heater and run pool for 48 hours with metal out and then ascorbic acid to delete stains and any residual copper in pool. Pool chemistry came back clean. Took water this morning to have tested again after lots of kids in pool over weekend and my copper/metal is back. There is a small spot of rust on the deep end stairs where the bolt attaches the step. Could this be the problem??? What is the wet niche for a Pentair SAM Light made from? Over the last 7 years, the plating has dissapeared and the outer ring that attaches thru the liner is now a bronze looking ring. This is not the removable light, but the outer ring that is bolted thru the pool. I called Pentair and they said it is stainless steel. I cannot find the answer on the web anywhere. ANY HELP PLEASE. I am ready to shoot a hole thru the bottom. Thanks All for your help

You didn't really think "Metal Out" did what it's name implied, did you? It's just a sequestrant, and not a very good one at that.

You need to read the Pool School article on metals in your water. You'll find out which sequestrants are the best to use. You also have to continually add maintenance doses of it every few weeks.

The light ring turning bronze looking might be from the copper depositing on it. or it might be a balance issue. Stainless will stain given the right circumstances.

You still need to post a full set of test results.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Iron
    Copper
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Not to be a nag about the chlorination question, but some chlorine tablets/powder contain copper, so it's something to check on. That's why I asked.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

I will post all in about 1-2 hours after I get report from my wife. Never a nag, have been using same 3" chlor tabs for a while but I will check also...
    THANKS!

Also, what about strainer basket metal handles????

Any of those kids been diving for pennies in the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.