Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: why did my o ring stretch?

1. Back To Top    #1

why did my o ring stretch?

I took out my filter cartlidge to clean it today and when I went to put it back together my o ring was slightly to big.....what on earth made that happen and do I just have to get another one?
    AGP: 24' x 52" cartridge filter: 13,500 gallons. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: why did my o ring stretch?

also if I have to replace the o ring, the pool store said they would have to order me one. Is there somewhere else I can get one?

3. Back To Top    #3

They stretch as the age. Some more than others. As long as you can persuade it to fit back in there it'll be fine. You can order them online but I don't know of a place besides the pool store that might have them in stock.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This happened to us. I'm sure ours was age....but....

also...what happened is at some time in the past, hubby put some vaseline on the o-ring. Big mistake (but he/we didn't know that at the time). The lubricant, if any, should be silicone-based.

And that is not right your PSS doesn't keep a supply of o-rings...I live & work in small towns & our PSS does...so that seems odd to me. The blasted thing was $9.99 though so look online for a better deal.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys. my only concern is that I cant turn my filter on and I don't want my pool to backslide. I just now got it under control. I will try to get it back on. Maybe two sets of hands will help trying to hold it up, make o ring fit and seal it with only two hands is very difficult.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the ring is too long, a temporary fix is to cut the ring into with a razor blade (or x-acto knife) and trim a little off it and super glue it back together. That'll get you going till you can get another one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I would have been scared to do that! If I can't convince it to go back together I will try that while I await another o ring. I swear it's just one thing after another. The pool feels like another child!

8. Back To Top    #8

We used to make all our o-rings out of stock material. We had a fancy holder to ensure a square straight cut but I've made hundreds with my pocket knife and a board. It's easier to do than you think. If you wanted to get fancy you could slice it at an angle but I don't recommend you try that until you've done a few dozen.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I man handled it back on but it is on its way out......

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by passionsrlz View Post
    I man handled it back on but it is on its way out......
    I am so glad someone else had this problem as I now know to just go to the pool store after I jimmy this thing to fit. I want to check out my filters...turn it on...if filters are ok I'll just buy another ring, if not another ring and new filters. Thanks for the thread
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

11. Back To Top    #11

Holy bump batman!

12. Back To Top    #12

#thissoundssowrong
    #lol

28,000 IG, gunite, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG with SPA,
    Intellichlor/VS Pentair
    Norman, OK

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I tries to glue it like Bama said but I guess hes much better than I am. Anyway as much as I don't like going to Leslies ...they had one. Lid back in order. Maybe I will order another and keep it around. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

14. Back To Top    #14

For future replacements, you might consider checking Amazon as well. I have a Hayward cartridge filter system and recently ordered an filter housing O-ring and filter cartridge for half of what they wanted locally.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks sooo much splash

16. Back To Top    #16

Check EBay too .... i bought a pump strainer basket lid for $15 that was $50 at the pool store and a gasket for $5 or so.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner