Am I on the right track?

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
I've recently switched to BBB and am trying to get into a good routine. I'm adding bleach in the evening. 3 qts. is not doing it - FC levels the next morning are 3 to 5. With CYA at 70, I understand I should be at 7 for FC. Also, it's been a week since I adjusted the pH. Its gone from 7.4 to 7.8, so I'll add muriatic per the pool calculator.
Other readings are TA 90, temp between 82 and 86. CH is still low so I'll add 5lbs. of calcium chloride a day (pre-disolved) to get that up.
Thanks for the help.

Disregard CH in your vinyl pool...you don't need it.

3 qts of bleach raises your ppm by 2.2....pretty normal chlorine loss for a day. I'm not sure what you mean by that "not doing it". 7ppm is a nice target so you may need to add six quarts one evening to boost your level. after that, see if 3 qts daily will maintain your 7ppm level.

How does your water look? Have you tested for CC's? It's possible you may have a little algae in your pool but it really doesn't sound like it.

Overall, it sounds like you got a good grip on your water balance....save your money on the CH.

perryy said:
I've recently switched to BBB and am trying to get into a good routine. I'm adding bleach in the evening. 3 qts. is not doing it - FC levels the next morning are 3 to 5. With CYA at 70, I understand I should be at 7 for FC. Also, it's been a week since I adjusted the pH. Its gone from 7.4 to 7.8, so I'll add muriatic per the pool calculator.
Other readings are TA 90, temp between 82 and 86. CH is still low so I'll add 5lbs. of calcium chloride a day (pre-disolved) to get that up.
Thanks for the help.

Three quarts of 6% bleach will add 2.25 ppm FC to your 20,000 gallon pool. It seems to me that you are just keeping up with the daily chlorine demand. To reach your desired FC level of 7 ppm will require a larger initial dosage. After that, just keep up with demand as you are doing now.

Rising pH is a fairly common problem, especially if you have water features that create aeration. Lowering your TA to 80 might help with this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.