Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA/Chlorine Correlation

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA/Chlorine Correlation

I just retested my CYA this morning and is 50...which means I need to keep my chlorine level between 4 and 8. If I let my chlorine level fall to 1 or 2, is that the equivalent of letting it fall to 0 with little or no CYA? I guess what I'm wondering is there a danger for algae at the 1 or 2 level with 50 CYA or is the 4-8 level the ideal level and the goal is still to not let it get to 0.

Thanks,
    Alan
    17,500 Gallons
    Fiberglass
    Inground
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA/Chlorine Correlation

yes, anything below the "min" you risk algae taking hold.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You want to learn how much FC your pool typically uses in a day, and what it might use after heavy usage or a storm that brings in debris.

You want to add the amount that will certainly carry you through to your next testing plus some, and could take care of an adverse condition. So, a pool that usually consumes 2 ppm ought to be fine if you bump it up 4 ppm from the minimum. But if your dog swims a lot and that uses up 3.5 ppm a day, then you will need to consider going higher so that you have that wiggle room of not being surprised at a low FC number when you test.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Am I understanding this correctly...a FC level of 3 puts my pool at risk for algae? I definitely didn't know that.

Thanks,
    Alan

5. Back To Top    #5

Alan, I never knew that either and the people at our local pool place do not either LOL. I think the FC level is 100% dependent on your CYA level... The higher the CYA the higher the FC has to be to sanitize.
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by gqjeff
    Alan, I never knew that either and the people at our local pool place do not either LOL. I think the FC level is 100% dependent on your CYA level... The higher the CYA the higher the FC has to be to sanitize.
    *ding* *ding* *ding* We have a winner!
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Do most of you dose and test daily and try to get just above the minimum...or do you dose enough to get just above the maximum and let it fall to the minimum over a period of a couple of days?

Thanks,
    Alan

8. Back To Top    #8

Let me phrase my question this way...if my acceptable chlorine level is 4-8, is there anything wrong with increasing to 10 and letting it fall 3ppm per day until it reaches 4 after a couple of days?

Thanks,
    Alan

9. Back To Top    #9

Nope. I used to do exactly that before I got the SWG running.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by alanrmeadows
    Let me phrase my question this way...if my acceptable chlorine level is 4-8, is there anything wrong with increasing to 10 and letting it fall 3ppm per day until it reaches 4 after a couple of days?...
    The only *slight* disadvantage to this is that FC loss to sunlight is proportional to FC level, meaning you will lose FC faster when it is higher.

So if you dose daily you might lose 2ppm per day, but if you try to double dose you might find you need to add 5 or 6ppm to ensure you stay above minimum instead of 4.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator