Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with PH and CYA, ect.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with PH and CYA, ect.

New to the pool life and would like for someone to explain to me exactly what the PH is in the water and what is CYA. I am trying to learn how the levels help the pool and how to keep water balanced. And how they keep pool water clean and so on. I hope to learn a lot here!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Need help with PH and CYA, ect.

Basically pH is how basic (high pH) or how acidic (low pH) the water is. The scale is 0 to 14 with 7 being neutral. You want the pool water to be slightly basic (7.2 - 7.8).

CYA is the common abbreviation for cyanuric acid which is the chemical that binds with chlorine to somewhat shield it from being consumed by sunlight. It's also called stabilizer or conditioner. Having the right amount is a good thing but having to much is worse than having too little. Having too much means that your corresponding chlorine level has to be higher so before long it becomes almost impossible to maintain the correct ratio of chlorine to CYA.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, thanks. I think I got that part figured out now. And what happens when the PH is too low?

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Low PH is bad for several things... it can be irritating to swimmers but it can be very damaging to your pool surfaces and equipment.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner