Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Air Leak

Ok, so I think I have troubleshot an airleak in my system. I have checked everything above ground and have a feeling the leak must be somewhere below.
    Is there a way to find out where the leak is without digging up all the pipes? If I must dig up the pipes, what should I replace the old stuff with? Right now I have found that it is black flexible pipe.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air Leak

you can get the lines pressure tested to see if they hold pressure. From there they can use sound or helium detector to locate a break in the line. The black pipe is very strong and the weak point is the fittings used to connect the pieces together. I usually end up running new lines with flex pvc.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure testing isn't too hard if you're handy about such things. A couple of expandable winter plugs and some pipe fittings a gauge and an air compressor is all you need. Plug one end of the pipe and rig up a way to pressurize it at the other end with the gauge in place and pressurize it to about 10psi and see if it holds overnight. I bet it won't take very long to find the leaking pipe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Another thing I am wondering is "Do I need a pressure relief valve"? I don't have one on my Hayward Sand filter. Should I have one?
    Also, you say I would have leaks at the places the underground pipes are connected together. Where exactly is this? I assumed it was just one long flexible pipe.
    16 x 38 inground pool, 20K gal, vinyl liner, 0.75 HP Hayward Superpump (SF 1.0, 115 V), Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount 24" sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate and 3.1 sq ft effective filtration area, Kreepy Krawly cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

It would be great if the builders did it that way but normally they use fittings underground. With PVC that's fine because it's a molecular bond but with black poly it's a mechanical joint and subject to outside forces loosening them over time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

where can I expect to find fittings. If I have to dig this stuff up, it would be nice to only dig in spots where there is likely to be a leak, as you mentioned, at the joints where there are fittings.
    Also, if I were to dig it all up, what would be the best thing to replace it with and how deep does it need to be under the ground.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have to dig it all up then PVC is the way to go back.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in Ohio. How deep do you want to dig this stuff down?

9. Back To Top    #9

I have no idea what the code is there so you need to call your building code folks.
    As long as you winterize correctly you only have to worry about frost heave.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

what is frost heave?

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok,
    So an updated on the air leak in my pipes.
    I tried replacing and re-glueing all my work before the super pump. I thought for sure this would fix things since I dug under ground to look at all my pipe connections and they were fine.
    Lo and behold, the leak is worse now!!!!
    When taking apart all the old work, I found that the threaded joints going into the basket before the super pump and the threaded joints going into the sand filter had cocking on them.
    I took that off and didn't use it for the new work. Now there are leaks at those points.
    Is this normal to use cocking?

12. Back To Top    #12

I have not seen caulking being used as the norm, they should have used PTFE tape of pipe dope.
    Stupid question but did you remove the pump basked lid and check the O Ring? then lube it and tighten it down?
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

13. Back To Top    #13

You should have used teflon paste for plastic pipes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I have redone all the pipes above ground, used teflon tape, etc. everything seems fine as long as I am just doing normal filtering. My problem now is when I switch to one intake. I have two intakes. One a skimmer, one on the side of the pool.
    I noticed that if I use one intake, very small air leak. Just a few small bubbles all the time, but when I add a hose to the end of the intake, ie, to attach a brush with suction or a creepy crawly, tons of air draws in and I loose suction totally.
    I know that means air is getting in somwhere, I jsut don't know where. Is there a common leak at the spot where the pool and the intake pipe connect underground?

15. Back To Top    #15

It is possible that only one intake can't supply enough water to your pump. If that is the case, the bubbles aren't a sign of an air leak, but rather that the water is being pumped out of the strainer basket faster than the water can flow thorugh the single pipe. Adding the hose adds more resistance to water flow, which makes the problem worse.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Have you checked the hose for punctures/leaks? That's a very likely source.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Update:
    I finally found a way to stop the suction side leak I have had the last three years!!
    I changed from a 1 HP Hayward Super Pump to a 0.75 HP Hayward Super Pump. No suction side air at all now!!!!