End of Season or Start of Next Season?

If you've already bought it, and aren't having problems, I'd just stick with it for the remainder of the season. Then, you can let the sanitizer levels drop over the winter, giving you a little easier time when you start the conversion in the spring.

Hey! Glad to hear you're going to be changing over. You'll be happy that you did. Our pool always looked nice on baqua but it really looks nice now.

Make sure, if you haven't already, that you have a good test kit. I know everyone sounds like a broken record about it, but that one thing is the backbone to managing your own pool.

Read the pool school and then read it some more. If you're levels are anything like ours were with baquacil then you'll have quite a bit of residual next year upon opening. Understanding how to convert will go a long ways in getting off on the right foot. It's all down hill from there.

I used baqua for 7 years and never thought I had any problems. This year oxidizer wasn't lasting long so I switched. Well, tonight being the first night in it post conversion I had 3 young neighbors swimming and they all said it no longer smells like a pond and the water feels lighter, said it felt thick before. Just thought I'd add my input to help convince your wife.

Our 4th year was when we started having problems. They snuck up on us slowly at first. We couldn't maintain the sanitizer and oxidizer very well and then by the end of the season we couldn't maintain them at all. It makes me think of low chlorine levels with high CYA. I don't know if any of it builds up the way CYA does and then starts to cause problems but it's similar. Be on the look out for any algae like creatures!!

When I switched I slacked off in the fall which made for an easy conversion in the spring. My wife did not want chlorine either, all she could think of was a public pool. This is our second year on chlorine, the water just sparkles. No cloudyness or slimy feeling and easy to maintain. Now she wouldn't want me to go back to the goo. I added a cheap Intex SWG a few weeks ago, she's really happy with that although is still trying to get used to salty water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.