Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: End of Season or Start of Next Season?

1. Back To Top    #1

End of Season or Start of Next Season?

I have enough blue stuff to last this year, and am not having problems yet. We have used baquacil for 2 years, on the third year now. I plan on converting. Is it best to convert at the end of the year before I close the pool, or when I open it next spring?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: End of Season or Start of Next Season?

If you've already bought it, and aren't having problems, I'd just stick with it for the remainder of the season. Then, you can let the sanitizer levels drop over the winter, giving you a little easier time when you start the conversion in the spring.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey! Glad to hear you're going to be changing over. You'll be happy that you did. Our pool always looked nice on baqua but it really looks nice now.

Make sure, if you haven't already, that you have a good test kit. I know everyone sounds like a broken record about it, but that one thing is the backbone to managing your own pool.

Read the pool school and then read it some more. If you're levels are anything like ours were with baquacil then you'll have quite a bit of residual next year upon opening. Understanding how to convert will go a long ways in getting off on the right foot. It's all down hill from there.
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

4. Back To Top    #4

I will have to wait on the test kit. I haven't convinced the wife yet. I am still doing my homework and trying not to step over the line. She takes care of the pool. Thanks for the welcome.

5. Back To Top    #5

I used baqua for 7 years and never thought I had any problems. This year oxidizer wasn't lasting long so I switched. Well, tonight being the first night in it post conversion I had 3 young neighbors swimming and they all said it no longer smells like a pond and the water feels lighter, said it felt thick before. Just thought I'd add my input to help convince your wife.
    25,000 gal inground 18x36 pool, vinyl liner, heat pump, sand filter, BBB method(thanks to you guys), in VA

6. Back To Top    #6

I attempted to convince her before doing my homework, now I can use all the help I can get. I am still at the dropping hint stage, if you know what I mean.

7. Back To Top    #7

Our 4th year was when we started having problems. They snuck up on us slowly at first. We couldn't maintain the sanitizer and oxidizer very well and then by the end of the season we couldn't maintain them at all. It makes me think of low chlorine levels with high CYA. I don't know if any of it builds up the way CYA does and then starts to cause problems but it's similar. Be on the look out for any algae like creatures!!
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

8. Back To Top    #8

I am counting on switching before the problems begin. Thank you for the advice. I will be on the look out.

9. Back To Top    #9

When I switched I slacked off in the fall which made for an easy conversion in the spring. My wife did not want chlorine either, all she could think of was a public pool. This is our second year on chlorine, the water just sparkles. No cloudyness or slimy feeling and easy to maintain. Now she wouldn't want me to go back to the goo. I added a cheap Intex SWG a few weeks ago, she's really happy with that although is still trying to get used to salty water.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the information, It will help my cause!