Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't try grilled bacon

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't try grilled bacon

We had the weber nice and hot with mesquite so after the steaks, I asked my wife if she'd like to try grilling some bacon. She was planning on making some breakfast burritos tonight to freeze and microwave later. So we laid a few strips on the grill. They started sizzling, not much shrinkage. And then... whoof! massive grease fire as they started to drip on the coals. It cooked all right, but it has the surface texture and taste of campfire marshmallows, if you know what I mean.

So instead we hauled grandma's old cast iron skillet out (it's a family heirloom, you know) and fried the rest of the bacon in the pan over the really hot coals. That worked out well. Kept the heat and smell out of the kitchen, too. Less work for the AC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Don't try grilled bacon

Are you now devoid of any and all facial hair?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had never thought of putting bacon on the grill but now when that thought does pop into my head I'll know to squelch it! Thanks for the warning. I have a nice heavy cast iron pan that will do the job quite well.
    24' AG Vinyl
    13,500 gallons
    1hp Hayward pump
    Sand filter
    Jug dumper apprentice

4. Back To Top    #4

I had to laugh, sorry! But it's rather funny. I hate cooking bacon, so when I do, I cook up about 6-8 packages at a time. I have an old heavy cake pan that I can do a couple pounds at a time in and do it on the grill. Couple rounds of that and I have it all done. Then I just bag it and freeze it. We take out what we want and a quick nuke in the microwave to warm it up.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Gee it's funny you mention bacon - I just bought a package of it tonight at Aldi's after it not being in the house for several weeks.

I like mine done crisp and instead of frying it in whole pieces and having the ends come out curled and fatty, I cut the entire package in half so that the pieces are about 6" long instead of the usual 12" . . mmmmmmmmm good.

I never thought of cooking it outside in a pan over the coals - will definitely have to try it, especially since we've been having the hottest summer ever. Campfire marshmallows sound good right now too!
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think everybody tries that once! Myself included, with identical results.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

HAHA good stuff.....flame on!
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

Next time, wrap that bacon around some seeded, cream-cheese (or crab dip) stuffed fresh jalepenos!
    39,000 gal 48 x 22 gunite/pebble, SWG
    Pentair Intelliflo
    Jandy Aqualink RS; Jandy 60 DE Filter
    Polaris 280 Black "Manta Baby"
    3 Jandy WaterColors LEDs

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, I thought I was the only one! Grilling bacon is something you only do once.
    18'x48" Intex metal frame pool, 1600 Intex sand filer/pump combo, Intex SWCG.

10. Back To Top    #10

I cook my bacon in the oven. I line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lay out the slices side by side and just bake them in the oven till they get as crispy as desired. They seem to be a BIT less greasy this way, and works great when you're cooking for a large crowd like I am often doing.
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

I've done it a number of times with no problem over a gas grill, its nice if you want a couple slices for burgers and don't to heat the kitchen up. It flares up a bit, but no worse than a fatty steak. I wonder if the difference is the easier path to the drip tray.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

12. Back To Top    #12

hmm My Bacon wrapped fillets cook great on our traeger....
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't put the bacon directly over the coals. Put the coals to one side of the grill and the bacon over the other. They taste wonderful that way.
    35,000 gal, 3.5-9ft with diving board. Jandy CV580 filter, 2hp 2 speed motor, Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C heat pump. Pentair IC60 swg.

14. Back To Top    #14

thanks for saving me the trouble! Was thinking of trying that someday soon!
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

15. Back To Top    #15

George Forman. I cook my bacon on the "George" and all of the grease drips off into the drip pan. It can be cooked as crispy as you like. Good stuff, bacon. I love it.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

16. Back To Top    #16

Too funny. been there and done that...
    learned the hard way is good.
    have tried turkey bacon on grill (direct) not the same issue, just some flareups.
    venison bacon....OMG this is the heat. why waste good deer meat on hamburger when you can get venison bacon.
    it works great and tastes better than turkey bacon and even regularly bacon (cheap stuff).
    in direct heat works and we use that method when grilling our bacon for filet mignon topped w/ ****ake mushrooms, blue cheese and bacon.
    just make sure it is med rare max when you grill the steak to melt the cheese.
    cheers
    +++++++
    SiteCR2
    20x40 free form (31k gal), 1987 marcite (needs to be redone), hayward heater 1994 only heats to 93degrees, spa losing marcite, pump w/ slow leak and sand filter. much work to be done but love having a pool!
    +++++++

17. Back To Top    #17

Don't try grilled bacon

Ditto on the oven/baking method - I find the thick cut works best when baking - line a cookie sheet with foil, stick it in the oven, set to 400 and walk away for 15 minutes or so - 100x easier than frying and no mess. Don't pre-heat the oven.
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

18. Back To Top    #18

x3 on the oven method.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

19. Back To Top    #19

This for you Richard...nothin like bacon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking to build a new POOL

20. Back To Top    #20

Dogs don't know it's not bacon!
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast