Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I need to know how to replace the belts on my Polaris 380. I don't want to break anything by forcing parts apart. Do I need to remove the wheels? I took off the cover and removed the two screws by the front wheel thinking I would be able to take the wheel off so I could slip the new belt around the gear. However, doing that just loosened the peice behind the wheel that the axle goes through but I still can't remove the wheel.

I'm sitting here with the Polaris in pieces so I'd really appreciate some help!

I've replaced several, but without one in front of me, I for the life of me can't visualize - which is odd cause I can tear one down and put it back together now faster than Jeff Gordon's pit crew changes his tires. IIRC correctly, you'll have to remove the two screws that hold the wheel on to let the wheel's gear slide back a little bit - on at-least one side in order to get the belt in. You may also need to remove the little clip that holds the wheel on. Hope this helps.

Hi taekwondodo,

Thanks for the info. I got that far after I posted but I still don't know how to take the wheel off; assuming I have to. I don't see how I can get the belt on with out taking the wheel off. Can you at confirm that I need to take the wheels off to change the belts?

Attached is the Polaris 380 Rebuild Kit Instructions. They aren't too helpful but at least provide some diagrams to help describe the parts.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. I removed one side of the base cover; the side that the belts are on.
2. I removed the hubcaps and the E-clips right behind the hubcaps on both wheels which also allowed me to remove the inner bearings.
2. I removed the two screws on both axle blocks. The blocks are now free.

The problem is the axle is still attached to the axle block on one side and the wheel on the other side so I can't slide it out of its hole. I just looked at the diagram again and it shows another E-clip on the other side of the inner bearing (and perhaps on the other side of the wheel itself). I didn't notice it when I was searching for a way to get the wheel off but I'll have to look again at it when I get home. Can anyone confirm that this E-clip needs to come off, if there are any tricks to getting access to it and geting it off? Hopefully, this is all I need to do to get the wheels off so I can get the belts on.

And I thought it would be simple to change the belts!

Attachments

• Polaris 380 Rebuild Kit Instructions.pdf
    469 KB · Views: 36
w/o pulling one apart... IIRC, you should remove the e-clip on the outer side of the wheels on the side with the two wheels. both wheels should then be able to be removed and you should be able to slip the belts on then.

This is an old post but I hope someone gives it a read. How do you remove the e-clips on the side of the wheels of the Polaris?

I have to replace the belts myself and I have taken these apart before but not taken off the wheels to slip on the belts. I think I'll replace them both so I don't have to do this again! :)

Thanks
Anne

For those who come across this post and want to know how to remove the e-clips; it's very easy. First, take the "hubcap" off the wheel. If you look at the side of the "hubcap" you will see a space where you can slip in a flathead screw driver and gently pop it off. Then, wedge the corner tip of a flat head screwdriver between the exposed middle curve of the e-clip and the wheel axel and pull it sideways; away from the axel. It should just pop out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.