Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dealing with inconsistantly strong bleach

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW Louisiana

Dealing with inconsistantly strong bleach

I am having a problem with my bleach being too strong, and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem

the brand of bleach is "Pure Bright"

Today I decided to go ahead and shock with chlorine since I have experienced stronger than normal chlorine demand for much of the last week. I only had 3 gallons of "5.25%" bleach on hand that were not already in the metering pump's tank, pool calculator said these raise my FC from its measured 3.5 to 8.0 (shock level being 8.3 for a CYA of 20). So I dumped the 3 gallons in and hoped for it to be a bit on the strong side. After 2 hours of circulation I have an FC level of 13.0 (tested 3 times from different points around the pool, ranged from 12.5 to 13.5), reverse calculating on the pool calculator shows this "5.25%" bleach must really be close to 10%. So right now I am hopeful that there are lots of organics in the water to help consume some of this excess FC, otherwise it will take a week or more to drop below shock level. (typical FC drop at less than 1 ppm per day, usually closer to .5 ppm)

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Dealing with inconsistantly strong bleach

The concentration of bleach does vary, though it is rare that it is that much higher than it is labeled.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School