1. Back To Top    #1

First readings with TF-100

FC 5
    CC .5
    TC 5.5
    pH 7.5
    TA 220
    CH 390
    CYA 10-15(the dot is almost gone, can barely see it)

It's been 8 days since I added CYA. Should I wait a couple more days before I add more CYA?

And what should I do about the TA & CH? Off to read more in the pool school.

I should add that it has been raining here every night. It's at the overflow point right now. But, I don't want to backwash to lower the water level cause I'm trying to raise my CYA.
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100
    Climate/Location: SW Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First readings with TF-100

On the CYA test you want the dot to be completely gone. Sounds like your CYA is zero. It should have shown up after 8 days. There have been reports of people buying CYA that doesn't actually have any CYA in it. Looks like you need more.

Did you wipe the tip of the dropper with a clean, damp cloth while you were doing the TA test? There is an issue with static building up causing small drops. If not, re-do the TA test wiping in between drops.

The CH level is not awful, and I withhold comment until you re-do the TA test.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

I used HTH stabilizer & conditioner.

Okay, I redid the TA and got 130.
    5,000 Gallon 16'x 48" Intex Ultra Frame, Waterway 1hp sand filter, Intex SWG, AquaCritter, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I added CYA last night(sock method). And checked levels again this morning.

FC 8.5
    CC .5
    TC 9
    pH 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 230
    CYA 65

Can my numbers really change that much over night?

5. Back To Top    #5

No, most likely testing error.

How much stabilizer in total have you added each time?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com