A vote for bleach over pucks.

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
Just wanted to share my good experience with bleach as opposed to pucks. It wasn't so much that the pucks were increasing my CYA, but call me crazy, the pucks seemed to lower my PH almost daily, and I just couldn't seem to keep algae from forming. So........I switched over jugs of Walmart bleach, and with the same FC level in the pool as with the pucks, I almost immediately noticed that my PH was more stable and I had no algae forming. My PH was dropping from 7.5 to 7.2 daily with the pucks and now it's been the same for almost 4 days. It seems to me that a stable PH of 7.5 has kept algae from forming. Yes the bleach is a little more expensive, but I'm not dumping in Borax daily either. The bleach might actually be cheaper in the long run. Signed, Happy Camper

CYA is cyanuric acid. Acid lowers the pH.

Now that you know that CYA will lower your pH you might be able to use this knowledge to your advantage. If your CYA level is not too high and you want to lower your pH just throw a puck into the floater!

Cyanuric Acid (CYA) isn't as acidic as Trichlor. Trichlor is the most acidic source of chlorine other than chlorine gas. For example, in a pool with a TA of 100 ppm, adding 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) via Trichlor tabs would lower the pH from 7.5 to 7.13 when accounting for chlorine usage/consumption. The CYA would rise by 6.1 ppm which is around one pound or pure CYA in 10,000 gallons and by itself would only lower the pH from 7.5 to 7.4.

Bottom line, you're doing the right thing with bleach. The pucks were lowering the pH over time. You need to test your CYA to be sure you maintain the proper FC levels since you used pucks for a while (which drives up CYA). Otherwise, you'll be fighting algae again before you know it. But definitely stick with the bleach!

Is bleach really more expensive than pucks? Been so long I can't remember for sure...

Thanks for the feedback. I got 50lbs of pucks for $115. If I did my math correct, the same amount of chlorine in Walmart bleach costs more, but like I said, I'm not putting in as much Borax, and I'm much happier, which offsets any possible additional minimal cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.