Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I.D theft

1. Back To Top    #1
    Southern MN

I.D theft

Has anyone ever had to deal with I.D theft? The more I do things online like taxes and ordering stuff with credit cards the more I wonder when it will happen to me. I found this company called life lock that seam like it would be the way to go vs. the credit monitoring companies.

What are your thoughts about it?
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

2. Back To Top    #2
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Not full out I.D. theft, no. But I, and many others across the country, had a fraudulent charge of $12.95 appear on a CC that I had used for an online purchase. I researched it at the time and can give you some URLs about this scam, if you like.

It's the only time I've had an adverse event in many years of online transactions. My approach is this:

1. I have one low limit CC reserved strictly for online purchases.
    2. I have another low limit CC for automatic charges, like my server fee, DVD rentals, cell phone, etc.
    3. I keep my CC receipts and balance the accounts each month. IOW, I actually read my bills.
    4. Once every four months I run a credit check on myself and my husband. You get one free credit check a year with each of the three major reporting companies, which means you can do three per year.
    5. I've activated the alert feature on my CC accounts to notify me of any purchase over $X, via e-mail.

Many CC companies offer floating card numbers for online purchases and I do use that. I never have my personal information saved by a vendor, and I don't do financial transactions on a public computer.

This has worked well for me, knock on wood.

— AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Missouri City (suburb of Houston, TX)
    I think you are actually far more likely to suffer identity theft from giving your cc to a waiter at a restaurant than you are on an encrypted website.

Still a good idea to protect yourself.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

I've read that more of the identity theft is theft of paper mail, especially those pre-approved credit card offers.

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Okay Mom LOL
    The internet does not necessarily have anything to do with it. jenn
    ABG, Cornelius, 12'x24', oval, 7,700 gals, 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump, sand filter. BBB. 6-4'x10' Fafco solar panels, permanently installed on wooden ground rack, GL235 auto controller.