pump replacement recommendations?

First post!

I have a Hayward Super Pump Model SP2610X15 on my pool. It's rated at an insane 19.6 amps max on 120v AC. I've measured the actual current and found that it typically draws about 16 amps - which IMO is a LOT. I'm looking to save some money on my utility bill by upgrading to a more efficient pump - but only if I can recover the cost of the pump in a "reasonable" amount of time. More details: I only run the pump during the summer (4 months) and I currently run it for 7 hours per day. The clean pressure is about 14-15 psi through my 30" sand filter in case it matters. The sand filter is brand new this year and replaced a 30 year old 24" sand filter that held less than half the amount of sand. My inlet and outlet plumbing is only 1.5" PVC.

Specs for existing pump with 1.5" inlet/outlet:

83GPM @ 20'
75GPM @ 30'
65GPM @ 40'
53GPM @ 50'
36GPM @ 60'

So.... what would you recommend as a replacement? I'm thinking a smaller HP, high head single-speed pump. Am I on the right track? Is the Pentair WhisperFlo any good? How about a Hayward Super II?

Thanks, Bruce

Welcome to TFP.

First off I recommend a 2-speed over any single speed. You get the best of both worlds with that.

For your 30k gal pool I'd recommend a full rated 1hp 2-speed. Either Whisperflo or the Super II will be good pumps for you. I like Pentair but that's what I have and it's been without problems.

Thank you. Excuse the new guy question, but what's the point of a 2 speed pump? I have no water features or spa, so why would I want a two speed pump? Will I be able to save electricity and keep the water just as clear? If so, how? By altering the pump schedule? Basically, what I'm getting at is that I want to save maximum electricity without giving up water quality. That also means that I need to be able to run my automatic suction-side vacuum - so that probably makes a difference, right?

You can run it on low speed 24/7 for less cost than a single speed for 12 hours. When you need extra hp in order to vacuum you can use the high speed as long as you need and then go back to low.

I see - that sounds appealing. I'll have to check into that.

I still am not quite sure which pump to go with because the flow ratings for the Super II and WhisperFlo are with 2" pipe and mine are only 1.5". Any advice on pump model selection to match or improve on my existing setup? Is it possible to accurately predict the flow by converting the published flow rates? How? Anyone have advice based on experience?

I contacted Pentair about my questions and just heard back. They recommended the SuperFlo instead of the WhisperFlo. They stated that the SuperFlo is designed for 1.5" PVC and the published flow rates make that assumption. They had no data for the WhisperFlo with 1.5" PVC. The good news is that the SuperFlo is cheaper than the WhisperFlo. The Pentair SuperFlo 348023 is a single speed "energy efficient" pump with a very similar performance curve to what I have now and a max amperage of 11.2 at 120v. If I want a two-speed SuperFlo with similar performance, I need 240v service to the pump and I don't want to run new wire to accomplish that. Is this a good model or should I look closer at something else?

Bama Rambler said:
Half the GPM 1/6th the power.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers but looking at the 2 speed Pentair SuperFlo 341111 as an example, here's what I see:

Voltage: 115
Max Current: 14.6/4.7

Looks like power is about 1/3, not 1/6th. Right?

Have a look at this chart for the flow. The model in question is lines A and F: http://www.pentairpool.com/images/produ ... ve_new.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.