Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some AGP deck advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some AGP deck advice

We are planning on a wooden deck, but want to make sure we can get to the screws to remove the top rail when we eventually have to replace the liner. Our preference is to have the deck go under the lip of the top rail, but it could go over the top rail. What are the recommendations of the folks here who have been through this already?
    WilBar Escalade 18x40 Oval AGP
    7' Hopper Style Deep End, 27K gallons
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some AGP deck advice

first question...are in an area susceptible to frost?

3. Back To Top    #3

We are in Georgia, so we do get freezing weather sometimes in the winter.
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Unless you're in north Ga. You won't have any frost heave so it won't matter whether you put it on top or under the bottom of the top rail. Ours is under the bottom and I like it better than on top but that's MHO.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

We are getting ready to install a deck also and have opted for under the top rail also. It will help with support when someone stands on it also.
    24' AGP Sentinelle 54" , 1hp 2 speed power-flo matrix, New 250K to replace the 150k BTU heater, pool roover Jr. Aqua Trol SWG, Large deck, taylor k-2006, Majestic Stairs with colored LED, COLD BEER

6. Back To Top    #6

My deck is wood and the decking is even with the top rail stopping anywhere from a 1/4" to 3/4" short. I like it like this because to remove the top rail I do not have to remove all the decking. I do have to remove the decking at the connector caps because they need about an inch and a half clearance to remove. This is creating a problem for me right now because the installer (before my time) sunk the screws below the surface and I have to dig out the head of each screw to remove it and some of the decking has been covered and will actually have to be cut. So word to wise - plan ahead.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Larry. That is exactly what we are trying to avoid. We are planning to use Brazilian hardwood for the deck flooring and I don't want to mar the wood trying to remove it later. I thought about trying to attach the boards at the caps from underneath, but there will be limited room to manuever under the deck once it is built so right now we are leaning toward putting the deck about 6 inches below the top rail so that we can get to the screws to remove the cap. It is not our first choice, but we haven't come up with any good alternatives. I was hoping to give my agp the look of an inground, but I don't think that is going to happen!
    Vinyl Unibead Liner
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

One possibility that occurs to me is to put a support beam about three inches from the edge next to the pool. Then cut the decking at that support bean. You would then have a very short cantilever and would only have to remove a couple of screws when you need to remove the caps. This assumes the Brazilian hardwood is strong enough to support a short section fastened only on one end.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

9. Back To Top    #9

Put a facia board for the final one that goes over the top of your rail and put a hinge on it. The board should be supported but when lifted off leave adequate space to work with the top rail.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

10. Back To Top    #10

I went above the rail to cut down on rail damage. I have seen pools where the deck is below and the rails get all bent up from people standing on them instead of the deck. My installer said as long half of the rails were exposed like the pic i am about to show is he would not charge extra for a liner replacement and the decking would not need to be removed. Heres a pic.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like you have a lot of clearance behind the caps and under the deck. That is a good design.
    Larry in Texas

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, My last deck there was no clearance and the decking would need to be removed for pool liner replacement.
    I was not going to make the mistake the last homeowner did. It was a pita to get the winter cover on and it always came loose during the windy winter mos here in michigan.
    The new pool and deck has plenty of space and should hold alot better.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

13. Back To Top    #13

I like the picture....My top rails are bent up from kid's standing on them...Very good design!!!!
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit