Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Galloping pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Pearl, MS

Galloping pH

Started using BBB this year; so far, so good. The water looks great, but I've really been fighting pH levels. It keeps wanting to rise to 8.0. I'll add muriatic acid to bring it back to 7.0 - 7.2. I do have a wall fountain that keeps the pool aerated. Within two days, back to 8.0. TA is 130. I've done this 3 times now. Do I need to continue? Should pH eventually stabilize, or will muriatic acid just be part of the routine? Am I hurting anything by leaving it this high?

FC 5.0
    CC 0
    CYA 45
    TA 130
    PH 8.0
    CH 0
    temp 88 F
    16x28 vinyl inground kidney, 1HP pump, sand filter, Compupool SWG, 11K gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Galloping pH

You ought to see that TA decline a bit from the acid then aeration. If you are also adding fill water that has high TA you might not notice any decline in TA. If this is the case, you will continue to fight the pH at least until you get some rainwater in there that does not add TA.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Once you get your TA level down to around 60 or 70 the PH increase should either stop or at least slow down significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, TX (Candlelight Estates)

My pool did the same thing. I've got my TA down to around 60 and my PH has stabilized around 7.6. It does still rise slowly but I'm only adding about 20oz of acid a week to keep it in check.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater