Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how much are you paying for shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

how much are you paying for shock?

This may not be the right category for this question, but it looked correct to me.

Just out of curiosity how much should those small bags of shock cost?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how much are you paying for shock?

A little over three bucks at Leslie's: Power Powder

Now that I've answered your question....answer mine. Why would you want to use it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the 45 lb bucket $62 or $1.38/lb.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

Now that I've answered your question....answer mine. Why would you want to use it?
    OK now that you have my attention, tell me my alternatives? I have only owned a pool for 1.5 years.

I just bought 12 packs for about $90.00..... I know I can buy a different brand at Lowes for about 3.90 but I felt it did not work as well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by gabagoo

OK now that you have my attention, tell me my alternatives? I have only owned a pool for 1.5 years.

I just bought 12 packs for about $90.00..... I know I can buy a different brand at Lowes for about 3.90 but I felt it did not work as well.
    Sounds like you are buying "lithium hypochlorite", which is nice stuff in that it doesn't add any CYA or Calcium they way other "shocks" do. But unstabilized chlorine (aka bleach) is A LOT cheaper. check out pool school in the top right corner of the page.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

Good old chlorox bleach works really well. BTW, shock is a process, not really a product. You can shock with any form of chlorine. Liquid is cheapest and doesnt add anything unwanted to your pool like CYA or calcium.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

NOTHING!..............You're 90 bucks worth of shock translates to about 60 gallons of bleach for me.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

To expand on Woody's point, a pound of lithium hypochlorite (you paid $7.50) will add 2.1 ppm of FC to my pool. The same increase could be achived with 2.75 cups of bleach (just under $2) or 12oz of the 48% Cal Hypo (about $2.25) I'm using because my CH is a touch low.
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

9. Back To Top    #9

I pay about 11¢/KWH for my shock. Oh you didn't mean that did you. But, that's the only shock I buy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

As others have informed you, bleach works as good as anything and doesn't add any unwanted chemicals. I may be hypersensitive about this as I'm stuck with CYA 2-3X higher than it should be and CH slightly higher. All because the previous owner and his pool service used a floater with pucks and doubtless the occasional bag of shock.

If you have low CH or low CYA, these other forms of chlorine are okay as long as you know what you're adding.

Keep the pool clean and the FC above minimum and you may never have to shock your pool again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!