Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re- opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Re- opening pool

Hi, we have lopsided pool and are going on vacation. so we decided to drain, readjust and then refill it when we come back, so we have a little peace of mind while there.

When we come back I plan to open it this time using the instructions on the pool school. It says to use Dichlor for the first four days to raise cholrine and CYA.

Went to the pool store yesterday and ask for DiChlor they sent me home with Pro Team brand (Zip Cholr) the active ingredient is Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione 97% saying it provides 62 % of chlorine.

Is this the right stuff for opening the pool the PS way?? It says nothing about CYA..is it implied? Don't want to find out after four days that I have to put in stabilizer and wait to test again...

If anyone knows I would appreciate it.
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re- opening pool

Yep, what you got was Dichlor. Every marketing company puts their fancy name brand on it but it's the same ingredients. And though they don't tell you it contains CYA, it does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I always thought the CYA formed as a result of the dichlor's chemical reactions with water. It's not a separate ingredient.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you thank you!!! Thought I had bought another chemical for my garage sale! So glad.

at least I can celebrate the small victory...They tested my water at the pool store and for the FIRST TIME they told me my water was perfect!! To bad I have to drain it, but at least I will have lots of practice for next year

thanks again!
    12'x30" Intex AG 1,485g pool, w/530gph cartidge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Anytime it says "stabilized chlorine" on the package it contains CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It should say Produces Stabilized Chlorine. Both dichlor and trichlor, when immersed in water produce chemicals reactions that yield both chlorine and CYA as well as some other products.

I know I have the chemical equations somewhere in my CPO docs but I am, at the moment, too unmotivated to go dig them out. I am sure it's on the web somewhere.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm no expert but here's what I found.

CYANURIC ACID: Chlorine tablets and granular chlorine are the two most commonly used forms of chlorine. These two forms of chlorine are classified as Cyanurates, which simply means they contain Cyanuric Acid as an ingredient.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I too was pool stored into the Zip Chlor. Any idea how much it takes get the CYA up to levels we need? Being that my season is down to a few weeks to a month at best, I bought the HTH test kit instead of the TF100. With that said, I only have 2 tests for CYA and the pool store is an annoyingly heavy traffic pattern 10 mile drive away. So I want to get it up to a point where testing it is worthwhile. Or should I go ahead and just switch to the Clorox and HTH Stabilizer.

I gave it a shock dose of Zip Chlor last night, and today afterwork, FC is near zero. Water is clear (just finished the last foot of filling yesterday)
    Intex 24'X52" Round
    2500 GHP pump
    Northern Utah
    13,000+ gallons