Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ABG with deep end?

1. Back To Top    #1

ABG with deep end?

I am a newbie so forgive my pool ignorance....I am looking to purchase an above ground pool and just can't get over the fact that most all you find are only around 4' deep. My son is 11 and already 5' so by the time he's 13, a 4' depth will be at his waist (well not really but you get my point).

Up to this point I was thinking of digging out the entire pool but I'm not a fan of having NO shallow water to stand in. Local pool dealers say digging out isn't recommended, may void warranty, etc.

Please give me any / all opinions on how to accomplish a deep end.
    Also, are oval ABG pools better?
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ABG with deep end?

Digging out a deep end in an AGP is a common practice. However a lot of companies make 54" deep AGP's that gives you ~48" of water and you'd be surprised how deep that really is.

There are many different ways to dig a deep end. Some people dig one half of the pool deep. Some people dig out the center leaving a shallow ledge all around the pool. Some people dig a bowl shape in the pool.

I personally would think an oval pool would be more condusive to a deep end than a round pool would be but maybe not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. I agree about the oval shape. From measuring we have about a 40' x 40' space in our backyard for "something". At this point, I'm looking for some sort of oval shape that would have one end that's deep, one that's shallow, like a inground pool.

Aside from Doughboy, is anyone aware of any other type of ABG pool that can be "buried"?
    26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame (14,667 gallons), Hayward Matrix 1hp 2speed, Hayward ProSeries 21" sand filter
    1.5" PVC piping with in-wall skimmer, TF100 test kit
    City water in Raleigh, NC

4. Back To Top    #4

most Oval AG Pools can have a deep end up to 6' - check with the individual manufacturers.
    Generally, the newer style buttress free pools are harder to do this to because of the band that ties the side walls together - it normally runs at ground level under your liner/sand so you can see how that would interfere with the hole you need.

5. Back To Top    #5

To add a footnote check out this link:http://www.arthurspools.com/poolency...poolsalbum.htm
    It's a pictorial of how to dig out a deep end for an AGP.

Good luck
    18x33 Delair Sunsation GS AGP Oval 4 shallow-6 deep mostly buried