12" diameter black algae stains

RANDY M

Silver Supporter
Jul 19, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm new here and hopefully my picture is attached. The stains have been there for years. The stain on top of picture with white circle is where chlorine tab was. The stain on bottom of picture is where I used dry acid in a sock. Can black algae get this big? Thanks.

Hi Randy, very, very odd stains...
In the stain at the bottom of the pic, it looks like some fading of the stain has taken place - you are saying you held dry acid in a sock there?
I can't tell the area you are referring to when you discuss a chlorine tablet? I see three other large black circles...

Well, then yeah, I'd concur with Bruce that it's the dreaded BA. Is it anywhere other than these 4 circles? If not, I'd spot treat with chlorine tablets.

If the BA is living, you need to brush with a SS brush to knock the heads off so the chlorine can attack the insides. BA has a chlorine resistant outer shell - brushing is the key here.

I've added 2 close-up pictures to hopefully verify its black algae. Also went to pool store for water test.
FC-5+
TA-200
CYA-100+
Ph-7.8
CH-500+
30,000 gal.

I added qt of acid and 30 oz genesis shock since test.
Cruised the site here and realized I'm makings things worse. I've turned off the auto feeder of tablets. Until I get a chance to do a partial drain should I add liquid chlorine or bleach if this is algae?
Debating on buying FAS-DPD today or ordering TF100 and waiting for delivery. Located in Southern California.

Please advise on anything and everything. Thanks

How far south in Southern California are you? If you are close by, I would be happy to come and look at it for you. You can PM me if you don't want your location public!

You know to me, that looks like an organic stain - like someone had a pile of leaves or, as in the last pool I cleared, immature dates by the 1000s or something that's just sat there. Regardless, like everyone else says, get your CYA down, then your CL up. I find that both organic stains and black algae will fade rather quickly if you maintain FC about 2-3 x MinFC level for several days in a row.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have drained half my pool and refilling now. Ordered test kit, should be here next week. Tried to scrape or smear the spots. Nothing. Tried vitamin c tablet. No change. Rubbed 3" puck on it; maybe dulled it a little. Ordered test kit, should be here next week. Then I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks everyone for all your help.

One trick that often works on black algae on the bottom of the pool is to get some powdered trichlor, brush vigorously with a stainless steel brush and then put a layer of trichlor powder directly on the black algae. If you do this too much it can damage the pool surface, but if done correctly and with a little luck it can take care of things in one application. If you do try this, treat a small area first and see how it goes before tackling the rest of the spots.

I received my new test kit. Even after draining about half the pool;
FC-14
CC-0
TC-14
pH-7.5
T/A-240
CH-860
CYA-100+
Tested CH assuming copper in water from black algae killer 2 weeks ago(which didn't even touch it)
I'm assuming I'll have to drain half the pool again? (After my water bill cycles a month)
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.