Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH and TA are a little low - How do you decide which to...

1. Back To Top    #1

pH and TA are a little low - How do you decide which to...

Here are my current readings:
    pH is 7.3 (Goal of 7.5)
    TA is 60 (Goal of 90)

I know that I can add a little Borax to raise the pH and that will also rais the TA.

I also know that I can add a little baking soda to raise the TA and that will also raise the pH.

So how do you decide which to do knowing that by trying to fix either pH or TA that the other (TA or pH) will also be correctted? Do I try to raise the pH with Borax or raise the TA with Baking Soda?
    TFP SUPPORTER through TFTestKits.com - My Pool: South Florida, 11K gallons, In ground, concrete / Diamond Brite, Free Form with attached spa (no heater- go figure) Built around 1998, original surface, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5HP pump, Jacuzzi Cartridge Filter, Rainbow 320 Tablet Feeder, Hayward Navigator Pro, Taylor K-2006 w/ TFTestKits replacemeng Reagents.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH and TA are a little low - How do you decide which to...

If you are using bleach or a SWG to add chlorine, you should raise the TA and let the PH take care of it's self. The PH will tend to go up on it's own eventually, so a current PH level of 7.2 or higher is fine. If you are using trichlor, you should raise both PH and TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My pH and TA are both high. Same answer? Fix TA and let pH take care of itself?
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sonflower
    My pH and TA are both high. Same answer? Fix TA and let pH take care of itself?
    sonflower, you probably want to fix pH and let TA take care of itself. If you adjust pH with muriatic acid to 7.2 it will lower TA a bit, then with normal (or forced) aeration pH will climb again, leaving TA where it is. Then repeat.

Not the same as the Op niceguymr's question.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you anonapersona
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits