Pump motor extremely loud (sound&Video)

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
Can anyone tell me whats going on with this pump/motor from the sound its making? The pool and all equipment has only been installed for a couple months. PB gives a three year warranty so it should be taken care of with no issues. But I would like to get your expert opinions. It's a Hayward Tristar. It sounds like something has came apart inside the motor. Putting a little pressure on the supply conduit changes the sound quite a bit.
Thanks
Click on the pick and it will take you to the video

I wanted to let the warranty take care of everything but my CLNA (Cant Leave Nothing Alone) syndrome got the best of me. I took the back off like Bama mentioned and this is what I found. I dont see anything hanging up or rubbing. There seems to be a missing spring on a centrifigul switch allowing it to chatter like crazy. Can anyone confirm this? Here are some pics. You can see the empty eyelet where the spring should be connected.
pump002.jpg

pump004.jpg

Can you get less of a close-up picture? Obviously, when you push on the conduit, it changes, so it has something to do with where the wires mount. I'd look for cracked mounting plates where the wires screw on, things like that. Try wiggling the conduit with the cover off and the mnotor off and see what moves.

I don't guess you found that other spring in there huh?
All of them I've ever taken apart (and that's a bunch) have both springs.
It also looks like that actuator is off to one side of the shaft. Is it?
If so, I bet that's where your shaking is coming from.
Holding the conduit quietening it is just dampening the harmonics in the housing caused by the vibration.

Richard everything seems tight at the termination points and in general. Bama the actuator is of center. My bet is that the missing spring is causing my issues.
Talked to the PB again today, she is wording the work order differently to get faster service :whip: .

Allright I'm up late working and had some extra time. I did some digging and this is what I came up with. The part that is missing the spring is called a "rotating switch". It would cost about $40 bucks or so. The switch in this case is there to switch the capasitor off after stratup. It would be an easy DIY'r project to R&R the switch. I'm FAR from being an A/C motor expert :oops: but being able to read the MFG's name plates on the motor made it nice and easy to track down part number and what not. If you can read your pump and motor info at this point in time you should write it down and keep it somewhere safe. :whip:
Here is a pic of what the part should like like new. As you can see it has two springs.

Attachments

• AOS_SAW2136.jpg
    AOS_SAW2136.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 68

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.