Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How do you store your Muriatic Acid?

How do you store your Muriatic Acid?

Was wondering how other people store their Muriatic Acid safely? I currently keep it in the box it came in up high on a shelf in my garage pushed to the back so that nobody but myself can get to it. I am curious to hear if there are better ways to store it.

Thanks

Re: How do you store your Muriatic Acid?

Great question. I store mine in the garage but not on any shelves, just the floor, and it's in the sunlight when the garage door is open. (Probably not best but it's a space issue....)
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

Muriatic acid is fairly easy to store. It can handle a wide temperature range. The only crucial step is to make completely sure that no muriatic acid ever comes in contact with any bleach. Store bleach and acid far enough apart that they won't get to each other even if both bottles leak. For total safety what you do is put the muriatic acid bottle in a bin/bucket, so any leaks are caught in the bin. The bin isn't really essential but it will protect you floor if the bottle ever leaked.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

I use an old kooler with a decent lid.

I keep mine in a plastic bucket. I had a jug leak a couple of years ago. I use the bucket to dilute the acid when I add it to the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by sonflower
    Great question. I store mine in the garage but not on any shelves, just the floor, and it's in the sunlight when the garage door is open. (Probably not best but it's a space issue....)
    If it leaks on the floor it will degrade the concrete.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

Long time ago, before pool, we had muriatic acid on a metal shelf in the garage. Very hot here in TX. Over time, the acid escaped the jug and ate through the shelves. Thank goodness we noticed before it fell on to the car.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

We store MA outside, under the deck behind a brick pillar. It is exposed to outdoor temps, but not in direct sun.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

I store mine in a Rubbermaid bench box. It's right next to my bleach but...it sits in a box by itself so that if the bottle(s) are compromised, the interior box will retain the materials and keep them separate.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT