Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris Pump vs Main Filter pump....

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris Pump vs Main Filter pump....

So it seems my booster pump for my Polaris is going, neighbors have made some suggestions to get a new pump. However I dont feel like shelling out 400 bucks for a new booster pump. Could I use a return off the pool to run the Polaris?
    Thanks for all the info!!

18' X 33' X 4' AG Vinyal Pool of unknown parentage
    Hayward Perflex DE bump filter and Power Flo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris Pump vs Main Filter pump....

I have a 1.5HP Jandy pump that feeds all of the returns, waterfall, 2 deck jets and the cleaner line in my pool. What I have found is that you can't possibly run them all at the same time, but that's OK....I'm not usually running the water features while my Poloris 360 is cleaning the pool anyway. At times I wish I had just a bit more force so I could push a good steady amount of water both through my waterfall, the deck jets AND the returns (to maximize circulation in the pool), but I certainly use this single pump for my Polaris and it works fine.
    20'6" X 38'6" (609 sqft)
    22,500 gal gunite/plaster IGP
    DE filter, Jandy 2HP pump, Nature2 Sanitizer (removed cartridge!)
    Raypak 39.9K BTU gas heater
    2 ColorLogic lights, Maytronics Dolphin pool cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Your standard pool return may not have enough pressure to run your Polaris.

Have you thought about just replacing the motor, or even just the bearings and shaft seal?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

replacing the motor from what I have found are generally in the area of 400 when all said and done. I have a Century booster 3/4hp How hard it is to rebuild? I have a good mechanical ability, installed the SWG recently. I didnt want to dump another 400 out for this pump if in fact I can run it off my main filter pump. I have a Jaccuzi 1.5hp pump, with 5 total returns, 2 in the pool and 2 on stairs and 1 under my skimmer(not sure why this is there) all can be turned off.

5. Back To Top    #5

Tried hooking up the Polaris to the low end return last night, didnt get enough flow to it, Moved very slowly. Gotta reconsider rebuilding the motor I have or purchasing a new one. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to purchase? Local stores are a complete rip off.

6. Back To Top    #6

Take all the data from the data plate on the motor and you shuld be able to find an exact match online.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit