Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter pressure dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter pressure dropping

I cleaned my cartridges about a month ago, right after we moved into the house. The pressure once I reinstalled everything was about 17-psi which was higher than I expected it to be after cleaning them. Over the past 4 weeks the pressure on the gauge has been slowly dropping. Last night it was hovering right around 15-psi. I'm not sure if I should pull everything apart and see if the filters are still clean or if they are dirty. Water is still very clean and flow at the returns is good. I haven't noticed a decrease in flow coming from the returns since cleaning the filters or anything like that. Any thoughts?
    22,200-gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward 1 h.p. Super Pump, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Full sun 6am~7pm,. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter pressure dropping

If it dropped way down I'd break it apart and inspect it, but a couple of pounds isn't a big deal. The gauge could change that much without the pressure actually changing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll keep an eye on it. I don't like to obcess about things, but not having a ton of pool experience (little over a month now) I questions things. Thanks.
    22,200-gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward 1 h.p. Super Pump, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Full sun 6am~7pm,. TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Falling pressure usually indicates a water supply issue on the inlet side of the pump or a damaged filter element. A dirty filter would cause a pressure rise.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat